Using Backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigboy99, Mar 27, 2006.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

My HD is getting filled with backups. I did a full backup, but the incremental backups are quickly wipeing out my available free space. Is there a tutorial available for this app, or can anyone guide me in using it more efficiently?

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Can you not just burn your back-ups to a DVD? Wouldn't it be wise to store your backed up data off your computer regardless, in case your computer crashes (hence the need for a back-up!) Or am I missing something?

3. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point. I also back up to an external HD, but the same situation occurs there. It seems that much more than incremental info is being backed up. I backup my Home folder and ILife. 22GB turned into 52GB in one month. I'm thinking a closer look at the data being backed up might be the place to start assuming I'm using Backup correctly.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I just use either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make an image of my machine, and store that off on an external HDD. I use it moreso for recovery purposes, not even so much content - if the content is a bit outdated I don't care. To complement this, on a monthly basis I back up my actual current content to a DVD-RW. 4.4 GB is more than adequate (for now!) for my entire iPhoto library, my Documents folder, Mail folder, etc., but I am by no means a power user, and I run a tight, clean Mac - I keep it neat and tidy, therefore I don't have a lot of junk to back up. And for things that don't change much (movies, music, software), the HDD backup is fine.