Using Band-Aids, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by devilot, May 30, 2006.

1. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Pretty straightforward, if you have cuts/ scrapes/ whatever else "boo-boo," do you use Band-Aids?

I've heard conflicting opinions regarding the use of them; one is that it's good to keep potential bacteria or other germs from getting into an open wound. But I've also heard that it's beneficial to allow the wound to "breathe."

Anyone care to further confuse me? :D

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I let it air unless there's a chance it'll get infected.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I generally try to leave them uncovered unless I need to cover them due to discomfort from rubbing or if they're still oozing significantly.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i use 'em at frist, to keep blood from getting everywhere. but once the wound is closed no more for me.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

*feels dizzy just thinking about it*

I cover 'em up until the bleeding stops, usually a day tops, and then rip off that plaster to let the wound breathe and heal. Plasters can definitely be left on too long - if you remove one and the underneath is all wrinkly, light-coloured and gooey then that'll be one such time!

Oo now you've got me thinking about scabs!

Edit: What've you done to yourself to ask?

6. iGary Guest

iGary

No, pretty much never.

MJ - does your carapace scab up?

7. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hee. :eek: Now I'm glad that my band-aid fell off. *feels guilty for ever using band-aids*

But I hate my current 'wound,' it's just a circular hole in my finger! Diameter of a measly 2ish mm, but it's so ugly. And I just imagine all these germies clammoring to get in. :eek:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... Good question. I'm always red so I can't really tell the difference between scabbed and unscabbed... :p

9. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I put one on soak up the blood if it doesn't coagulate (I've always wanted to use that word) quickly. Then I usually remove it after a day and let it heal naturally. I rarely ever get injured though.

I wonder how those liquid band-aids are?

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Really really good. I use them whenever I'm breaking in new runners because of the inevitable blisters.

12. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm told they work in the same way that the Army tells soldiers to use crazy glue. Just seals up a wound. Doesn't let anything in. :shudder: And it's a quick fix if you don't have needle/ thread to stitch up a wound, plus, it's a lot faster to just squeeze a line of glue and let it dry.

13. CompUser Guest

Thats what I do.

First the sink and float thread, then my sandwich thread, and now a band-aid thread. This is the night of polls.

Isn't band-aid a trademarked name, I think their technical name is "adhesive strip"

14. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I use them until the bleeding stops, then I take them off and let the air help them recover..

15. Lau Guest

Since I usually cut myself either when cutting out design stuff, or cooking, I find it usually prudent to put on a plaster, in order to continue the job without contamination. :D

When any sort of danger has passed I rip em off though, cause they're always on my fingers, and get mankified pretty quickly. I'm currently typing badly with a particularly manky one on, and it's annoying the piss out of me.

Sadly, the cut is on the very end of my finger, so it's having to stay on until the end of the 1500 words I have to finish tonight. :eek: Oh, and it's a design-related injury, if anyone wondered. :p The food I've been eating recently tends to ahve been more of the "put stuff on bread" variety, due to aformentioned design...

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here- I can not stand to use a Band-Aid for long.

17. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'll usually cover it during the day, air it at night. It keeps the scab/wound from rubbing against life.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Depends on the cut. A lot of times I just super glue a wound shut out of laziness. (check me out, I'm masochistic :p ) I have to bandage the thing if I have a date with dirt or what have you though. (most of my injuires are a result of dirt biking)

19. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    That's what I do if I ever need to. Like once when I cut myself with a knife. Just stuck some crazy glue on and was back to work in less than 5 minutes (although my boss at that time was an ex-marine, so it was sort of expected of me). Most other people would have probably got stitches.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

For me, bandaids are good for keeping cuts closed so they don't get bigger, or if I'm bleeding. Something has got to soak up the blood. ;)

And about keeping bacteria out: I'm not sure how well it works. After all, when you put a bandaid over a wound, it's not air-tight or anything. Bacteria will get in, and the simple fact that they get "soaked" with all these weird bodily excretions means they're probably a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, so don't keep them on.

I don't use bandaids, generally. ;)

21. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm sure this is quite logical, but just in case any of you need some cold hard evidence: bleach-containing house cleaning solutions sting when they get into an open wound. :(

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Nope no band-aids here.....well sometimes when im feeling dandy but nope.

Bless

23. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Well actually Band-Aids allow the wound to air, obviously not as well as if you had no Band-Aid. There is a reason the middle is not sticky, other than to not stick to the wound. That allows air in to let it breath but at the same times protects it.

With that being said, I do some times. Usually I don't care as my hands are always getting cut and I would look lame with Band-Aids on my hands.

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That does not seem like a good idea- but if it works..... ;) :D

25. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

well I do clean it first. Dermabond ("liquid stitches") is basically fancy super glue so I figure what the hell, right? It's never caused any problems for me.