Using built in speakers + external speakers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jive, Jun 2, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

I have some speakers that plug in to the wall and in to headphone jack - the problem is - when they're plugged in I lose all the out put from the built in speaker? Is this normal or is it a problem? I'd like to be able to use both...

Any help, jive :]

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This is normal. Think about it.. when you plug in headphones, typically it's so only you can hear the sound (through the headphones) and all external sound is shut off.

3. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

So there's no way around it? I'd like to add some speakers to my iMac...

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What about USB speakers? Or whatever proprietrary speakers Apple has for whichever iMac you have?

5. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you could point me in the direction of such a product I'd be very grateful - I seem to only be able to find speakers that plug in through the headphone jack...

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. nsutt22 macrumors regular

nsutt22

if u plug your speakers in half-way u can get a kind of dual sound. sometimes it cancles out a speaker or two haha. this is just a funny not seriouos fix. haha

8. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

my iMac G3 DV does well with internal speaker + external sound, through the line out... my PMG5 does too.. but with most macs, which have one output, like the MB, MBP, iMac, and Mac mini, i think you can only select one output at once in the System Preferences.

there's probably a way around it, however, because it's software controlled. maybe sniff around a few preference apps like Onyx and so on to see if they can do it (but i know onyx can't).

9. Subiklim macrumors 6502

There IS in fact a way around it. Get Boot Camp, boot into windows, and bam! Headphones and internal speakers.

It's quite irritating.