Using Canon Ixus without iPhoto...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rannie, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Rannie macrumors newbie

'Lo

First time here - treat me gently...

I have the Canon Ixus 40 - great little camera, but I really hate the way OS X automatically opens iPhoto to manage my images. The way iPhoto stores the images is illogical and frankly annoying.

With my old Casio camera a folder icon came up on the desktop and I could organise my photos how I wanted...

Anyone have any ideas how I might be able to circumvent this??

Your help would be much appreciated...

A

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I think the setting you want can be changed in the Image Capture app. I can't be sure though as I don't have a mac here to check.

There are other apps that do the photo management thing iView Media for example. The way iPhoto stores the images is somewhat bizarre but I still use it. I see it like iTunes. You can try fighting it to have your songs ordered the way you want them but do you have a really good reason exactly WHY you want to do it your way? Surely computers should help you avoid doing dull stuff like arranging your files in a certain way?

Should you change photo apps there's always the export function to get a flat folder of files...

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Image Capture is the answer. It's in your Applications folder. Open it up and go into the Preferences - you can change the default action when a camera is detected from opening iPhoto to opening Image Capture or doing nothing at all.

You can choose which images you download (from thumbnails) inImage Capture rather than bringing them all in automatically as iPhoto does.

You can also tell Image Capture what you want to do with those images next - open them in an application, dump them in a folder etc. I've got a useful little Automator action that Image Capture triggers which lets me rename the images sequentially with a bespoke filename and then creates a new folder which I can also name to drop them into.

4. Rannie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Legends - you'd think I might be able to find that answer out myself - I do work for Apple...