??? Using CD-RW on Mac PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mommy2j, Dec 13, 2006.

1. mommy2j macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Just wondering if its possible to use a rewritable cd on a mac. I've tried it twice and when I tried to erase a file from the disc I got a message stating that I do not have sufficient privileges. Why is that?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

RW disks cannot be used in packet-writing mode. You have to erase the entire CD and then write.

3. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I was curious about this too - I haven't used a CD-RW in ages after the advent of thumb drives, but I remember with windows I could erase individual files from my CD-RW without reformatting it. Is this not possible on the mac? Can you add new sessions without reformatting?

I don't have any spare disks to waste trying it out, otherwise I would. :) I usually only rip DVDs and burn .iso files using Disk Utility, that's the extent of my burning / ripping.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I don't think I've ever seen or used "packet-writing" mode. Does Windows support this out of the box or do you need a third party application?

To erase a CD-RW, open Disk Utility and erase it. Then you can burn it again from the Finder or wherever. Apple really needs to add a CD erasing option to the Finder.

There is no such thing as a Mac-only or PC-only CD-RW, BTW (I have heard people who thought this before! So I'm just making sure ;) ).

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Hmm... you are right, I don't think windows supports that sort of thing out of the box. I'm pretty sure I needed to specially format the disk with Roxio Easy CD Creator to make the disk "drag and drop", where I could erase individual files from it. I forgot, it was a while ago.