Using cloned Powerbook hard drive image on Imac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by srv007, Jan 21, 2004.

1. srv007 macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    I was wondering if it is possible to use a cloned image of my powerbook hard drive on an external firewire drive and boot an iMac from it? Would the installation on my powerbook be missing files needed by the imac to boot.

I want to pre-setup php/mysql and apache before I go to a convention where we are hiring soem Imacs. I only have one day to get things setup and thought I could pre-install everything on my hard drive, clone it on to an external firewire drive and then just hook it into the Imacs at the other end.

Is this possible?

2. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I've read some articles about people using iPod with OS X loaded to boot on multiple machines. It might be possible with OS X. Why don't you give it a try (before going to the show that is :D).

I'm curious how it goes. So please let us know.
  3. srv007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    Thanks mate.....but I do not have an iMac available to test on so I thought I would try to ask here to see....otherwise I may just ahve to rent one for a day but that will cost $$$ :)

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    It could work. When I got my Power Mac, I took my iMac's HD out and put it into the Power Mac. It wouldn't boot. Just gave the gray startup screen with a circle with a line through it. When I asked here on the forums, people told me the installation of OS X was machine specific. I simply did an archive and install on the drive from the Power Mac, and it worked perfectly.

Now, the strange thing is that I later took another drive, which I had installed OS X onto from the Power Mac, and put it into the iMac. It worked perfectly. So I really don't know what the story is.
  5. srv007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    Hmmm...okay thanks for your help. Looks like it may work but I will make sure i have a good backup plan wiht all the files I need to install mysql/php etc if it doesn't work.

Thanks mate