Using CSS with frames

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by simX, Sep 10, 2003.

1. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Does anybody know if you can set the properties of frames and framesets with CSS? I need to be able to use similar frames on a lot of my pages, but I can't seem to be able to set the style of them using CSS, which would be very inconvenient when changing the appearance of the frames.

Of course, if you can do it with iframes, that would be fine, too. Using CSS with the OBJECT tag won't work, because Safari doesn't support the OBJECT tag yet. :(

If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. :)

2. anneleonard macrumors regular

hmm... i used to use frames. but then i woke up to the realisation that they are both nasty and are a crime to use on the internet in this day and age!

do you absolutely have to use frames? its very "1997", sorry. I can't remember the last time i saw a good website that used frames. I've just developed a simple website from one that used to use frames, so i use asp includes now. all the stuff that you used to put in a navigational frame, for example, can just go into one small text file and every page can call information from it, so if you want to change the navigation, you only need to change the code in one small file and it changes it for the whole website. if you know this already, apologies!

i'm learning php at the moment, together with using mysql. now *that's* a powerful combination for a cool website!