Using DDR333 RAM in a DDR266 iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by huntsman, Nov 16, 2003.

1. huntsman macrumors member

In PC land, where I come from, it's okay to use higher speed RAM than the system requires. For example, DDR400 (PC3200) or DDR333 will work fine at 133MHz (DDR) on a DDR266 motherboard.

Is the same true in Apple land? The reason I ask is because Crucial is currently selling 512MB PC2700 SODIMMs at the same price as the PC2100 ones, and the former is preferable (better flexibility and resale value) as long as it is compatible with my iBook G4.

Also, has anyone had any issues with using Crucial's "generic" modules with their Macs instead of going through the memory selector? The modules that the memory selector returns appear to be given different model numbers, but given that their price seems to be the same in most cases I suspect that they're an alias for the standard modules and the unique model number is only used for compatibility guarantee purposes.

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Well, in this area at least, Apple is exactly like their PC counterparts. You may use as fast of SoDIMM as you choose and it will automatically run at the FSB speed, exactly the same as a PC does.

3. huntsman thread starter macrumors member

Looks like you were correct. The PC2700 module from Crucial which I installed yesterday has been working just fine. Also, I didn't use the memory selector (wasn't available for the PC2700 sale price), so it turns out there was no need in this particular case.