Using Disk Utility On 10.1.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MACDRIVE, Apr 13, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Why can't I use disk utility on 10.1.4? What I mean is, everything is "greyed out" when I go there. On the Tiger OS, this does not happen.

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

I'm not really sure if I understand you. You're trying to use the disk utility on the Tiger install DVD to change the old system (Puma?) on a different hard drive, correct? It's not astonishing that it doesn't work that way. Though I leave it to the pros to explain why.

But in case you try to use the Pume disk utility to change the Tiger system: I would strongly recommed to refrain from using old utilities with newer system. I could definitely corrupt everything on your HD.

3. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Cinamatographer,

What I did is this:

Removed the Tiger OS and wiped hard drive clean with the restore CD's.

Reloaded with the old 10.1.4 (because I did not have a Tiger CD).:(

Tried to use the disk utility built into 10.1.4, and everything was greyed out, meaning, it would not let me use it.

I know this thread is confusing since I am comparing the disk utility of two different operating systems.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is this in your primary account? There's a file named com.apple.DiskUtility.plist and removing it to the Desktop may help, but no guaranties.

Also, a screen shot may be helpful in this case. :)