Using dual monitors with the new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pankig, Mar 28, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I have the latest iMac and someone at the apple store said that i couldnt dual monitor with the latest iMac unless it was the 27" - is this true??? I want to use my 19 inch NEC gx2 not another mac related monitor.

2. simsaladimbamba

Any Intel Mac can at least another external display, some can use two external displays.
    from http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...mac-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-models.html found via "21.5" imac thunderbolt number of displays"

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

so what is the thunderbolt cable that I need to do this?

4. simsaladimbamba

Depending on the connection of your NEC, probably a Mini DisplayPort to DVI or VGA adapter, since the NEC probably has its own cable?

5. macrumors member

You can also buy USB to VGA adapters at otherworldcomputing. They come with multiple adapters inside the package.

6. IeU
    macrumors member

You can use a second monitor with your IMac and does not need to be one from Apple.

You just need to buy an adapter.

MiniDisplay <> DVI or VGA (Depends on the connections your second monitor needs/has)

The Thunderbolt connector on the back of your IMac can act as a MiniDisplay port (Backwards compatibility Thunderbolt > MiniDisplay).

7. macrumors newbie

I am hoping to use my 21" Apple cinema display (circa early 2006) with a new iMac via the Thunderbolt output - i would require a MDP to DVI cable for this, correct?

8. simsaladimbamba

Yes.