Using excel (office X) to do box and whisker charts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tayvens, Apr 6, 2004.

1. tayvens macrumors newbie

How do I do a box and whisker plot with excel?

It is a bit like the open-high-low-close option in the stock charts but it plots 5 values (median, maximun, minimum, upper quartile and lower quartile) instead of the 4 in the open high low close graph.

The median value is shown as a line across the box determined by the upper and lower quartiles. The maximum and minimum values form the whiskers.

Any help greatly appreciated.

:confused:

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

3. tayvens thread starter macrumors newbie

Me thinks not because me has tried it and therefore knows, or me thinks not because me has not thought of it before?

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Me thinks not because Excel is a ****ty piece of software for doing real stats and graphs.

Me knows also by experience because I have tried to do them myself.

Me is not the same poster as any of the above despite the style. :D

Either find some real stat/graphing software, use Illustrator (tedious) or write your own program in c, php or whatever. Better, do it by hand (real quick if you only have one to draw ;) )

Actually, now that I think of it, I found a *real* messy way of doing it, using multiple variables in various chart style for the various parameters (median, IQR, etc.). Also using one the options you mentioned. Again, it was really messy and ugly. :( :( :rolleyes:

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

DeltaGraph is the charting application that is recommended for Excel users.