Using external display while powerbook is closed?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rikers_mailbox, Mar 9, 2004.

1. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to use an external display with the laptop closed? Right now closing it just causes the computer to sleep. (i've seen it done on the newer AlBooks, but can't figure out how to get it to work on mine.)

I'm on a 1Ghz 15" TiBook and using a 17" flat panel.

-rik

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

just use an external input device to wake it up... if you click on USB keyboard or mouse, PB should wake up even if the lid is shut, as long as the display is connected.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Startup

If you plug all devices in (including monitor), then startup your laptop, wait for the startup chime, then immediately close your laptop, it will work.

4. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i thought you couldnt do that because it somehow vented through the keyboard... with the screen closed it would overheat too fast???

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

doesn't bother mine. the engineers thought of this possibility otherwise they wouldn't have let you use the powerbook while it was closed ;)

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm....

If heat is released through the keyboard...how come the bottom is hot but the keys never are....?

7. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

aaahh. . . yep, it works. Much simpler than i thought, i was scouring the System Prefs. looking for some kind of display setting.

Thanks for the help.
    -rik

8. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Which brings up the question:

How come you don't want a dual monitor setup?

Is the PB's LCD damaged, or do you not have enough room on the desk for both?

Just curious. ;)

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

that is easy to answer.

my 12" pb only has a max resolution of 1024x768. i need to have a higher resolution than that. if i use the dual display i can only get 1024x768 on both display. also my 12" has to be the main display. if i am going to use a dual display setup i would prefer my 19" crt be the main display.

10. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, you can set separate resolutions on the displays. It just looks weird when dragging windows between the two.

As for why I don't want dual displays. . . sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I just like to be able to have the option. :)

-rik

11. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. Options are good. Enjoy the PowerBook!

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Note that (I think) this won't work unless you have AC power connected.

I use that to my advantage. At home I use my PB stand-alone, but at work I plug it into a 21" monitor. All you have to do is "sleep" it, not power it down (there's no good reason to power these down for the most part anyway). Connect all the peripherals without connecting the AC, then plug in the AC and hit a key on your USB keyboard.

On occasion I'll have to "detect displays" to make high resolution available, but usually the PB remembers the resolution and refresh rate I used last.

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

hmm dual resolution...i'll have to try that later today :)

14. Mantat macrumors 6502a

With the dual screen, just go in config / screen and you can drag the top menu from one screen to the other. This will allow you to switch 'main' screen.

I always use dual display: 12" for the iChat, MSN and folders. But since Panther with Expose, I only use it for iChat and MSN... I have so much free space on my screen that I cant rationalize buying a cinema display! :-S

15. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

thanx :) its pwetty.

16. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I'd love to be able to do this! :D

I'd love to be able to afford a new PB (G5?! :D), keyboard, mouse, Cinema Display, and BookEndz port replicator cuz i plan on using it stand alone on the road and off my desk, but I love the niceness of being able to have a laptop that functions as a laptop (And YES i want the 12", even tho thats not really considered a 'desktop replacement laptop') Alas, i have but one question :p:

could i use the bluetooth keyboard and mouse when its asleep for my external stuff? what about airport for net/network?

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Get a podium pad or something if you are worried about heat. I played around with my TiBook with the lid closed, but dual monitors is really so much nicer that I don't bother closing the PB lid anymore when I've got an external monitor hooked up.

Airport works just fine with the lid closed. I don't know about BT, something tells me you'll need to wake the machine with a USB device, but once it's awake BT should work too. I can't verify that a BT mouse/keyboard will or won't wake it up though, because I don't have one.

18. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

Here's the procedure for the external display/lid closed setup starting with the DVI TiBook (667Mhz+), newer PowerBooks, and the iBook G4:

Note that this is for driving an external display *only* procedures are different when you want to mirror or dual display.

1. Connect the PowerBook to AC power
    2. Plug in external display connector + external display
    3. Close the lid
    4. Wake the machine up with an external input device (USB mouse, keyboard, etc. On built-in bluetooth equipped PowerBooks, you can use a bluetooth device to wake it up, if set as such in the Bluetooth Prefs.
    5. The internal display will be Off, the external display will be on using the resolution from the internal display.
    6. Open system prefs and adjust to taste.
    7. You may now open the lid. I recommend this for anyone out there with a 12" powerbook. The built-in LCD will remain off until you either put the machine to sleep and wake it up with the external display disconnected - or simply just disconnect the external display connector.

19. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular