Using external monitors with a 15in titanium Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by noxir, Feb 6, 2007.

1. noxir macrumors newbie

Hi all. Newbie here. :rolleyes:

I've got a 15in Titanium Powerbook which I've had for about 4 years and can't see any reason to change it. I'm running OSX 10.3.9, 867Mhz processor, 1MB L3 Cache and 1GB SDRAM.

I'd like to get an external monitor, at least 20in, maybe a 23in.

I have a few questions though.

1) A fellow mac user said my PB might struggle to power the larger monitor due to the older graphics card. Is this true?

2) If yes... are there any upgrades I can do to allow me to buy an external monitor?

3) If its fine, any recommendations on monitor? I can afford the 23in Apple Cinema, but I don't like spending money for no benefit. How are the other options compared to the Apple? IE Dell/Samsung etc.

4) Anything else I should check/know before purchasing?

5) Any recommended UK sites? If I go Apple I'll go to Regents Street, but what about other options.

Thanks so much for your help. Really appreciated :)

2. thumb macrumors 6502

i have the same tibook, and use the dell 2407 24" monitor and it all works great.

i really like the monitor, and it is much cheaper than the acd. i also added a mini to it as well.

3. noxir thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome news. Thanks :)

Have seen this one from Play.com which I use for all my dvds/cds so trust them. Would this work ok?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/657/86...t_Panel_Monitor/Product.html?searchtype=genre

Thanks again :D

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I had the same Tibook until ... yesterday!

I used a 20 inch dell display with it quite a few times and had no problems with it at all. Perfectly happy and speedy and seemless.

I do question why you aren't running 10.4 on your powerbook though? It can handle it perfectly fine in my experience. If this is just a personal preference ignore this question please :)

Happy monitor purchasing!