Using Finder to Connect to an FTP Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by timswim78, Feb 24, 2006.

1. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I used Finder to connect to FTP accounts on two different servers, and I get this error message when I try to upload files:

The item filename.doc could not be moved because remote folder cannot be modified.

This seems a little unusual because I can connect to and upload files just fine through other FTP applications. These FTP accounts are for my Web sites.

2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

The Finder makes for an absolutely terrible FTP client. Any server you connect to, you will not have write permissions, only read.

3. timswim78 thread starter macrumors 6502a

timswim78

WOW! That really stinks. Are there any FTP clients for OS X that allow you to just drag and drop files?

I can do this with Windows and Linux, but I am new to the Apple platform.

4. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

5. timswim78 thread starter macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Sweet! Thanks for the link. This definitely made it to my list of favorite programs.

I downloaded, installed it, configured my FTP account, and uploaded some files within about three minutes!

6. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

The reason why finder suck for upload is that is logs in as user anonymous login in hence the read only

7. timswim78 thread starter macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Why would they have it setup to login anonymously? My servers asks for my name and password and does not allow for anonymous connections. I guess it is just one of those quirks that has not yet been worked out.

8. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Finder is intended only to download files from FTP servers. If you have an account on an FTP server, then it is just a server. You may upload or download at will. If you want Finder-like read/write access to desktop-mounted FTP servers, I highly recommend that you get Interarchy.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I prefer Transmit - the widgets alone make it worthwhile if you upload frequently to numerous accounts. All the recommendations so far are good applications. My preference is Transmit, but I can't say anything bad about the others, either.