Using Firewire to connect two Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macette, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Macette macrumors 6502

Is this possible? I'd just like to mount my iBook as an external Firewire harddrive, or something along those lines.

I read ages ago about IP over Firewire, but it's been pulled (was it a dodgy beta?) - but are there other solutions? I'm too scared just to plug them in and see what happens, because I've heard about dead ports and 'poof' noises and the smell of burning rubber....

2. nonreflectiveobject macrumors newbie

easy to do. just shut down computer you want to use as a firewire drive. plug in firewire cable to both computers. reboot, holding down T. after a few seconds, the screen should turn blue with a bouncing firewire logo. then its hard drive will be mounted on the other computer's desktop.

3. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you thank you thank you. this is so perfect while my ipod is off sick... poor ipod :(

4. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

but hey... how do i disconnect? I've unmounted the drive, but my ibook is still all bouncy and firewire.

5. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Power button, once to turn off, again to boot

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

IP over Firewire does exist and it hasn't been pulled. The IP over FireWire Preview Release is available for download if you're an ADC member in the Download Software>FireWire section.

But if you don't know anything bout don't try it... :D

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

8. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

for Target Disk mode, it can only be done with the Mac as the disk and a utility that allows the PC to read HFS+. Windows XP already has IP FW i beleve.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

No...i think either windows xp sp2 or some other newer update will have support for IP over firewire.

10. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i dont know about xp home. but pro has ip o/fwire. i know this cause it shows a fwire card in it as an acceptable netowerking device, like the lan adapter for a cable modem.