Using Higher Education Contract Discount in Apple Store (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FleurDuMal, Jun 16, 2006.

1. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hi people.

Does anyone know whether I can use the discount I get through my university being part of the Higher Education Contract with Apple in an Apple Store? Alternatively, can I use my discount if I order over the phone? I'm asking because whilst I'm at my parents house for the summer, there's no way I can access the internet store through my university network.

Thanks.

2. LastLine macrumors 65816

3. lonepilgrim macrumors regular

The discount on the online store and over the phone is the same (i think 15%?). In an Apple Store, in person, you get a discount, but it's only 8%.

4. Palladium macrumors member

Using UK HE Store

You can certainly do it over the phone, I did and got the full 15% discount which is well worth it. The discount applies to memory upgrade as well though Apple is still expensive.

5. enpojken macrumors member

if your university has vpn you can access the HE page for your university from wherever you are by being connected via the vpn connection. that's what i did...

6. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Sorry for sounding stupid, but what is VPN?! And how do I know if my university has it?

7. adom macrumors 6502

lol. just go to your library / computer lab..log in using ur uni details as normal. Go to apple.com/uk store, then find the HE site.

From there you can choose to shop as an 'Individual' buyer, and enter your uni details.

Vwala! You are now logged onto the HE Apple Shop...which you can only access using your uni's lan based computers

8. enpojken macrumors member

it's a "Virtual Private Network". as long as you are a registered user of your university's IT facilities you can access the university's network from another computer.

your university's IT website will probably have the info down there. i was able to just type "(my university) vpn" in google for the instruction page to come up.

anyway, other than that just call apple and they should give you the discount over the phone.

9. Anoi macrumors member

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

11. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

12. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

They ask you to fax a scanned copy of your NUS card (or University card), or you can alternatively send it to them by email.

I faxed mine over when I ordered it.

13. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Oh dear. Time to find the 20 year old fax machine in the attic then...:rolleyes:

14. Stuart Hinde macrumors newbie

NUS number worked for me.

15. Anoi macrumors member

They didn't ask me for anything at all... :confused:

16. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I ordered over the phone and got asked to send an email with a pic of my card to this guy!Maybe it was just to prove that I actually have one.

17. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, I ordered a Macbook over the phone this morning.

However, two niggling concerns:
    Firstly, they didn't actually ask me for any kind of proof that I was a university student. All they did was ask whether I had a valid student card, and which university I went to. Nothing more than that.
    Secondly, I've not recieved any email from them confirming that I've lodged an order with them. Does Apple usually send out emails confirming orders even though the order was made over the phone?!

Thanks

18. yellowmunky macrumors member

Which macbook did you get? Price?

Did you buy any extras?

Was the free applecare included (3 Years for HE purchases)?

Thanks,

19. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I got the 2.0Ghz White Macbook, with the wireless keyboard and Might Mouse with 3 year Applecare. Although I was told the Applecare was £58, not free! All together it came to £910.

20. yellowmunky macrumors member

All higher education purchases come with a 36 month hardware warranty (3 Years) as part of the sale.

21. yellowmunky macrumors member

From Apple UK:

10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period commencing from the date of delivery.

22. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Have you got an interenet link for this so I can enquire further over the phone?

23. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Thanks.

So no only do they screw up my order, they try to scam me by selling me something I'm already entitled to. :rolleyes:

Being a first time customer, I have to say I'm not very impressed so far :mad:

EDIT: Just been on the phone to Apple, and apparantly they wrote down my email address incorrectly. Also, they let me cancel the extended warranty I ordered (saving me £60). The guy on the other end of the phone was very helpful and cheerful, so Apple, all is forgiven ;)

24. LastLine macrumors 65816

Applecare isn't a warranty exactly so no, not a scam, and not something you're 'entitled to' but I know where you're coming from.