using ibook as a remote control??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mrsoup, Aug 28, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello all!!

I have an 'old' G4 imac (usb 2.0) with a pretty sweet audio set up that I can hear throughout my house.
    I just orderd and old school clamshell ibook (se) mostly for writing papers on the go. but I was wondering if any one knows how I can use it as a remote controll (over airport) to skip songs on my imac. this must be possible somehow...
    I cant afford an airport express right now.

thanks for any ideas!!!

2. macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I can't really give you any advice, but am very impressed with your low end purchases. Keep it up! Those old machines can still give a lot of performance.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

well I bought the imac when it was brand new...
    and I bought the ibook because its cheap and im a starving med student.

Im one of the weird people that buys computers to use them, not like some of the mac geeks that need to buy the latest hardware to compensate for their lack of a social life.

4. macrumors 65816

Can't comment on the airport idea but I use an old PDA with Sailing Clicker - have a google on it but it's cheap and very very customisable.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the tip.
    I looked in to salling clicker, It looks cool. too bad my cell phone isnt blue tooth. and the only pda i have is that old newton Ive been using to keep the coffee table level.

6. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm tempted to make a comment about being one of those weird people who knows how to use Google.... ;)

But that aside:

iTunes Remote Control is an option if your Macs run Tiger (or if perhaps Panther if you search for an older version).

This solution should work on any computer that has a working Apache installation (which, I believe, is any version of OS X, although I'm not sure if early versions had Apache, since I started with Panther mid-cycle...). Notably, you can do this on Windows as well...

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man, looks good.
    when I googled all I could find was third party remote control hardware for presentations and what not.

thanks for the help!

8. macrumors regular

CyberB0b

Apple Remote Desktop would work. Personally I use VNC applications to share my desktop over the network. That way I can control iTunes or any application on other computers from my laptop.

9. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Solution!

feed://osx.iusethis.com/new_apps.rss

NetTunes is EXACTLY what you are looking for.