Using iBook install disks on Power Mac G4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bumski, Aug 4, 2005.

1. bumski macrumors newbie

I just got an iBook and was wondering if its possbile to install tiger on my powermac G4 using the install disks that came with my iBook? Since the power management is different ect. would that screw up the powermac or is that data not on the disk?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It won't work, plus it's illegal since you only bought one licence with the iBook.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....if you search the forums here you will see that this gets asked at least once a week. Please read the *license agreement* that came with your iBook.....oh yeah!

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I read the agreement and it says you can use it on any Mac as long as it is one Mac. So if you install Tiger on your PM you have to remove it from your iBook.

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Aside from the fact it might mess up something.

6. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Why Won't Install Work??

Hi mad jew (or anyone else),

Why do you say that it won't work?

Is there a different version of OSX Tiger for an iBook vs a PM??

Didn't think that Apple makes different versions of OS for different Macs....

Just curious..... :confused:

Thanks,

Mark

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They ship different restore DVDs with different Macs now. The Restore DVD (the one with OSX on it) only includes the bits necessary for the particular computer it shipped with. I suppose you could potentially try to use a PowerBook DVD on an iBook but only because the two are so similar. However, using an iBook DVD on an old Power Mac would probably be buggy.

I think they started doing this with Tiger, but maybe Panther.

However, the retail Tiger DVD that Apple sells contains all the necessary files and packages, meaning it can be used on a much larger range of Macs (and any of the new ones). :)

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

You could always just install it from the iBook via FireWire Target Disk (how I had to do it for the Cube - faulty drive that spits out data DVDs instantly), where you boot the PM into FWTDM, then select that as the device to install OS X to. First bootup takes a while, but it's fine, just whizzing along :D

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But it should still be the same deal. I mean, it's installing from the same base DVD. :confused:

Admittedly, there won't be huge problems installing a laptop version of Tiger on a desktop but I'd certainly never go the other way, irrespective of how it's not usually legal.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The newer ones (AlBookish era) apparently have a check to see if you're installing it on the machine you bought it with (or at least one of the same model)