Using ibook panther dvd on an imac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by armandocerna, Nov 2, 2004.

1. armandocerna macrumors regular

I just purchased a G3 400mhz dv iMac for my girlfriend so she can get away from her horrible windows xp machine. It comes with 10.2.8 on it can I purchase a family licenese pack and use my panther dvd on her imac or is it ibook specific and won't work on the imac. Thanks in advance,

Armando

2. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

you can install the os but it won't let you install the ibook specific programs. i'm not 100% sure on this, you can just try it, it won't mess anything up. also, i'm pretty sure that installing that copy that came w/ your ibook onto the imac is a violation of the EULA so if you want to be good you should buy another license.

3. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Yeah it works fine. I usually update the OS on all my computers when I buy a new computer which comes with the newest OS.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you have the retail version of Panther, it will work. However, the system-specific ones often won't, or won't work well, because what we call Panther is really a lot of common code and a few specific bits and pieces for specific architectures, and the DVDs that come with the systems have the bits and pieces which are specific to that system, which might not be the same as those for the system you're trying to install it on. In other words, a brand new out-of-the-box iMac and iBook will have different files. Most will be identical but not all, and the restore disks simply have that same (different) info on them. So you'll likely see some flaky behavior if you use the iBook Restore DVD on the iMac.