Using iDVD with an external burner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by palusami, Nov 4, 2004.

1. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

Anyone have any luck burning DVDs using iDVD with an external burner? I bought a Powerbook a few months back. My first Mac purchase. I bought the Powerbook for security reasons and didn't see a need to buy a Superdrive. It wasn't until later that I realized how great it is for storing and editing media. I came across an easter egg that's supposed to help my Powerbook identify an external DVD burner. I just bought a Firewire enclosure for my internal DVD burner that I recently bought for my PC. Would be interested in hearing experiences people have had with using an external burner and iDVD, good or bad. Hopefully there will be more good experiences than bad... :D

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Get the patchburn II .
    iDVD is originally only for built-in drives.
    Patchburn enables burn on externaldrives
    http://www.patchburn.de

3. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I've had no problems whatsoever using my PB 800 with a Lacie external burner.

One important point -- if you use the easter egg, make sure you keep holding the Control key down after you click until the menu pops up. If you release the key too soon, iDVD will crash. (Definitely a good idea to save before you try to burn. ;) )

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

You are probably using lacies burnprofile.
    Lacies burnprofile often works with other external drives too