iPad Using iPad as hotspot on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Foxer, Feb 21, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Foxer

Simply put, what plan do you need to be on to activate an iPad as a wi-fi hotspot?

My iPad is 4G/LTE with the month to month 5GB data plan. I have an option in Cellular Settings to activate a hotspot, but it also states that there may be additional charges if I do so. Does anyone know if that is the case?

One would think that this is easy information to uncover, but I've been looking all over the net for awhile now with no success. AT&T's site is useless for this.

2. macrumors 68020

danpass

I tried it one day, having the iphone pick up the 'router' labeled Dan's iPad.

Worked smooth.

Didn't see any additional charges on the Verizon $30 plan.

3. macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I am pretty sure they are only referring to the fact that if you go over your allotment. There are no additional "Hotspot" charges, but you could chew threw data much faster through a tethered computer.

4. macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Difference between AT&T and Verizon is there are no additional charges on Verizon to use your iPad as a hotspot. Thats one of the reasons I got a Verizon one.

pac

5. macrumors 601

brand

The newer AT&T Family Share Plans include mobile hotspot on all capable devices.