iPad mini Using iPad Mini as car GPS

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by nrweaver, Nov 2, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I am looking at using my Ipad Mini as a car GPS as my Garmin has seen its better days. I preordered the Mini with Verizon LTE.

I already bought Navigon for my iPad 3 but it is just too big for in car and my iphone 4S is just too small for my needs.

1st - Does this seem like a viable option?

2nd - Are there any companies that make a dash mount somewhat like my Garmin has?

2. macrumors member

I am also interested in this kinda thing but I do NOT want to get a cellular data iPad mini. I want to know if there is an option to download maps in a particular app and use it as a GPS? Please let me know. Sorry if I am jacking ur thread :apple:

3. thread starter macrumors member

you could download Navigon app, but without having the wifi/cellular version you wouldn't have GPS.

So I am not sure that would be of any use.

4. WLS
    macrumors 6502a

The motionx apps allow you to download maps of your choice from an online database. also there are a number of Bluetooth GPS transceivers you can get and just place on your dash then link to your mini. That's what I plan on doing.

5. macrumors regular

once jailbroken, roqy bt app

6. macrumors 601

That's a question that you have to answer. It's certainly viable if it suits your needs/wants.

No idea what Garmin's mounts are like but I'd start with ProClip or another company known to provide device mounts that securely mount to a vehicle.

There are plenty of nav apps that use locally stored map data. The problem, however, is that you can only get a GPS receiver on the cellular version. If you get the WiFi-only version you won't be able to use GPS.

7. macrumors 68020

Spelling out the PS in GPS will tell you the answer to your question is 'No'. Without a cellular connection, there's nothing to tell the mapping app your current location.

8. macrumors 601

Phil A.

It has nothing to do with having or not having a cellular connection - the problem is apple only includes GPS receivers on the cellular models.
    There is no requirement for an Internet or cellular connection for GPS to work

9. macrumors 68020

IOW, a WiFi model won't work.

10. macrumors newbie

Of course the WiFi model does not work, because it lacks GPS.
    But there is no need to use cellular do get a GPS signal.

11. macrumors member

If you tether your iphone to your ipad mini it will share the GPS. So it doesn't matter if it doesn't have a gps chip.

12. macrumors newbie

You can use the iPad Mini for GPS without cellular. Just use your iPhone or other device as a WiFi Hotspot. The iPad will connect through the Hotspot.

13. macrumors 68040

shenan1982

The hotspot doesn't reliably transmit location data, unfortunately. :-(