Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hi all:

I was browsing through the app store last night and saw an app that allows the iphone to be used as a mouse over a wireless network. That is pretty cool, but does anyone know of an app that allwos similar functionality over bluetooth?

I have a little dell mini 9 netbook running OSX, and I'd love to be able to use my ipod as a mouse for it. If I'm at home I can use the wifi connection to make it happen, but when I'm not at home (when I mostly use my netbook) a lot of places that I find myself don't have wifi.... so the app would become somewhat useless.

it's a longshot, but does anyone have any ideas?

-jon

sgrizzle

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Hi all:

I was browsing through the app store last night and saw an app that allows the iphone to be used as a mouse over a wireless network. That is pretty cool, but does anyone know of an app that allwos similar functionality over bluetooth?

I have a little dell mini 9 netbook running OSX, and I'd love to be able to use my ipod as a mouse for it. If I'm at home I can use the wifi connection to make it happen, but when I'm not at home (when I mostly use my netbook) a lot of places that I find myself don't have wifi.... so the app would become somewhat useless.

it's a longshot, but does anyone have any ideas?

-jon

Considering the iPhone has had the ability to perform tasks like that over bluetooth for only the last 26 hours or so, I would say it's a HUGE longshot to find an app for it.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Considering the iPhone has had the ability to perform tasks like that over bluetooth for only the last 26 hours or so, I would say it's a HUGE longshot to find an app for it.

Ahh, I didn't even know that type of communication was part of the new functionality. I know the wifi app has been around for a while, and had been thinking about a bluteooth app for a few months. The fact that I asked today is just coincidence.

How does one setup an ad-hoc wifi network without a router?

jack44556677

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
in case anyone was wondering, this has been resolved. Simply install Air Mouse Pro on your iPhone through the app store and enable tethering on your iPhone. (see google). Once this is done you can join a pan with your computer either mac or pc with Bluetooth and the server software installed. I am using it right now while the laptop is on wifi Internet, and it is nothing less than spectacular. The best Bluetooth remote in the world until someone makes one with a more customizable interface.

sauvage7

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
WeBe Bluetooth Mouse

Hello! ;)

Now there is an app especially treating bluetooth:

WeBe Bluetooth Mouse

(It works also on Wi-Fi and Cable (Tethering))

It's new, just released on 5th January 2010.

WeBe, a computer mouse app for the iPhone or the iPod touch, lets you have all the functions of a normal Bluetooth mouse in your pocket! The screen of the iPhone or iPod touch serves as a trackpad.

Download the free WeBe-Server software from this site (http://www.weblooks.ch/en/webe/) and run it on your Mac. Then, start the Webe client on your iPhone / iPod touch and you can start using your mouse!

Cheers

Gabe

gtvracer

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
WeBe Bluetooth won't work..

On my 3GS 3.1.2, the Bluetooth method doesn't work on SL 10.6.2. Of course it will work if off WiFi or USB cable tethered, but not using BT. Mac recognizes the iPhone and connect to it as a SmartPhone, but WeBeServer does not connect to it.
Any ideas? I emailed WeBe, but haven't heard from them.

sauvage7

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Hello gtvracer!

When did you e-mail us? ;)

Well, you have many possibilities on how to connect your mouse directly. If Bluetooth does not work for you, like described in our Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drY5ZMshLZ8), I recommend that you use it via Ad-Hoc. It's a direct connection between your Mac and your iPhone / iPod touch and it's set up in a couple of seconds!
Described here in the lower-middle section: http://www.weblooks.ch/en/webe/

If you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to write us an e-mail :D

Cheers

Gabe

dalejrsfan

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
in case anyone was wondering, this has been resolved. Simply install Air Mouse Pro on your iPhone through the app store and enable tethering on your iPhone. (see google). Once this is done you can join a pan with your computer either mac or pc with Bluetooth and the server software installed. I am using it right now while the laptop is on wifi Internet, and it is nothing less than spectacular. The best Bluetooth remote in the world until someone makes one with a more customizable interface.

+1

Proshuto

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Trackpad, but not a movable mouse

AFAIK, Webe and many other similar apps turn iPhone into a trackpad. Now, solely in the aspect of cursor movement this is just like a trackpad on my laptop, and I prefer to use a wireless (bluetooth) mouse.
Does anyone know about an app which turns the iPhone into a moveable mouse taking advantage of its accelerometric capability.

thanks

zeigerpuppy

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2009
if you can't tether, try tetherme

My network does not allow tethering, so I installed tetherme from Cydia.
Works beautifully, gives access to carrier settings too. tried on iphone 4 4.0.1 and 3GS

jonnymacuser

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
California
The WeBe Server works now on Mac OS X and Windows platforms. Just download it from the website http://www.weblooks.ch/en/webe/ for free!

Regards

Gabe

Wow -- this is VERY hard to get working. I am into my second DAY of trying to get this app to work.

1) first you get the app on your iPhone;

2) then you download the WeBe server on your windoze machine;

3) then you need Bonjour print server;

4) then you need to update your Java;

5) then you still CANT GET IT TO WORK!!

Totally worth the $2 ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.