Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megatron7542

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
I am away from home and forgot the Apple TV remote. I am connected via Ethernet, and cannot use my phone as a remote unless I connect the Apple TV via WiFi, and I can't connect via WiFi unless I can use a remote.

Any solution will be appreciated.

The video that is posted in most of the other places I have searched was no help to me.

I do have the remote app but it doesn't find my Apple TV while connected via Ethernet

Last edited:

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I am away from home and forgot the Apple TV remote. I am connected via Ethernet, and cannot use my phone as a remote unless I connect the Apple TV via WiFi, and I can't connect via WiFi unless I can use a remote.

Any solution will be appreciated.

The video that is posted in most of the other places I have searched was no help to me.

I do have the remote app but it doesn't find my Apple TV while connected via Ethernet

I use my iphone as a remote with me apple tv on ethernet. However my iphone is in the wifi of the same network.
Unless you can connect your iphone to the network your apple tv uses then it wont work

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I use my iphone as a remote with me apple tv on ethernet. However my iphone is in the wifi of the same network.
Unless you can connect your iphone to the network your apple tv uses then it wont work

This. It sounds like the WIFI and the Ethernet are not on the same network. Oh sure they might both get their "internet" from the same connection, but my guess is that the WIFI is a "guest" network that has it's own DHCP server, thus they do not talk between the two.

This is very common is hotels.

EDIT: OP. Do you have a laptop with you that could use to setup an ad-hoc wifi and hook your AppleTV and iPhone to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.