Using iPod at Work

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HardHatMac9, May 4, 2005.

1. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

I have a 60Gig iPod Photo that I sync with my PowerBook at home, however I am wondering if it would be possible to connect the iPod to my (Windows) work computer and play songs through iTunes without syncing or removing any songs off the iPod onto the Wincrap, I mean Windows machine.

I installed iTunes on the windows computer, but the iPod does not show up in iTunes when I plug it in at work (although the computer does recognize the iPod).

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

No personal experience, but it shoulf work straight off!
    Make sure you hit the "no" button when it asks if it wants to pair with the PC library!
    I don't get this - you are not the first to ask about this kind of thing, have you ever thought of just plugging speakers/phones into the iPod itself? Do you need the playlist etc options?

PS, you need to set up your ipod to manually manage to use it like you want

3. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

The speakers need to be plugged into the comp. Any other (non-cryptic) answers? Thanks!

4. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

First option would be to use something like podutil, but i know i didn't have admin on my pc when i worked in an office, so unless you do or you can get the IT guy to give it to you, that wouldn't be an option.

You could always just burn a 4.7 gigs of your library to a DVD and save the wear on your ipod.

A friend of mine at work used to actually just turn the volume all the way up on his ipod and let it play through his headphones. Seems kind of low - tech, but in an office environment you usually can't play your music any louder than that anyway.

Hope that helps a bit...

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Have a look at the iPodlounge for some ideas.

With a Powerbook at home, your iPod will be formatted for Mac rather than windows so you may have to install software on your PC at work to allow it to read the iPod (iPodlounge has a few links). I looked into this myself but our IT guys in the office are so strict (understandably) about installing anything non-standard on the work PCs, that I gave up and just use my headphones; luckily my phone has a light to tell me it's ringing!

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

What you want to do is reformat your iPod as a Windows iPod, do this by downloading the latest iPod updater from the Apple site using your work machine and reformating from there. Obviously you'll need your PB to upload all the songs back on as the HD is wiped.

Macs are clever and can recognise both formats, not so with Windows. So don't worry, it'll still work fine. You'll also have the added bonus of being able to use your iPod as an external HD between your personal and work computer.

Edit: I think AppleSpider is talking about XPlay, which will let you play your Mac iPod on a Windows machine. Doesn't seem worth it though when you have a free work around, which doesn't lose you any of the functionality.

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Why do they need to be plugged into the comp?
    The speaker jack in the PC and ipod are identical.

8. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Sounds right to me.
    I've noticed a slight speed loss with a windows formatted iPod, but not too bad.
    I frequently help my g/f upload CD's onto her (PC Format) iPod with my PB, works fine.

9. gamestriker macrumors regular

So if I format an iPod for PC (FAT32), I should still be able to put music on it from iTunes on my PowerBook, right?

10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

yup. enjoy :)

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Presumably he wants to hear alerts and any sounds from his computer.

12. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Two sets of speakers?

If I may contribute absolutely nothing -

It is possible to have two sets of speakers on (or under) your desk. One on your Wintel for the system sounds (those are the ones I keep under the desk - how often do you actually have to adjust their volumes?) and an extra set (I'm sure your IT guys have extra speakers lying around) to plug into the iPod. So, James' thought wasn't entirely out of whack. :)

13. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

Very nice suggestion. Something about reformatting my iPod with over 40 gigs of music gives me the creeps (eventhough I have it all on my Powerbook).

Unrelated, but, I just installed an extra gig of RAM. My PB was sooo sluggish with the 512MB after I installed Tiger. Runs great now.