using ipod on more than one computer

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by five04, Feb 27, 2004.

1. five04 macrumors member

forgive me if this is a stupid question, but i'm somewhat new to it. i've recently purchased an ipod and i own both a pc and ibook g4. all my music is on my pc so that's what i've been using to sync my music up. i do, however, have a few songs on my ibook. i plugged my ipod into my ibook expecting itunes to copy all the music from my ipod to my ibook and add them to the library but that didn't seem to be the case. it asked me if i wanted to erase the songs on there and create a new library with the songs on my ibook. i selected no but couldn't add the songs. i selected yes and all my songs from my pc were erased. this isn't exactly a good setup. i can't believe apple would do something this stupid, so i'm thinking it's just me not knowing exactly how to make it work. anybody know how i can share songs between computers?

2. hob macrumors 68020

hob

welcome to the part apple DONT advertise about the iPod!! Well, it's all meant to be an anti-piracy thing - to stop you going to a friends house and downloading all their music too - which would be easy with all the capacity it has...

Anyway, just go to version tracker and type in iPod and it'll give you loadsa software that let you get around this. Also check out iPodding.

Also, at the risk of sounding hypocritical, so make sure you search the forums before asking questions - I'm quite sure this has already been covered before!!

3. five04 thread starter macrumors member

nice

thanks for the info. it's sad to see apple has done this on purpose, but at least people have written programs to fix it.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Sad?

I just don't understand why ppl don't get the reasoning behind this. The RIAA is suing many ppl because of illegal downloading, Apple is just trying to follow suit to prevent more piracy. Most of us don't have more than one computer, so it's no big deal.
    Besides....if I could just add songs at will, I could just walk the halls of whatever dorm I could find and within 15 minutes download 10,000 songs. It's wrong, and I am glad to see Apple is at least making it harder (it will never and should never be impossible) to have complete control to share and/or pirate files.

5. hob macrumors 68020

hob

it's just a shame they had to do it the way they did it. When I formatted my hard drive I had to use a 3rd-party app to import my music back from my ipod. I can understand why, but it's also frustrating!!

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Well yeah...

You also have to make sure you understand the term SYNC and not COPY.