Using iPod through the car stereo

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Ailsa, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Ailsa macrumors newbie

I have an iPod which I would like to use in my car. The cassette adapter is a non-starter as I my car stereo doesn't have a cassette player. I've toyed with the idea of the iTrip but having looked at other threads on the subject it seems quite hit and miss. What I'd ideally like to do is play it through an audio jack cable. Where would I plug this in though? I've looked all over the stereo and the cd changer but cannot see where it would plug in. My stereo even has a button that says 'phones' and the instructions say that pressing this button causes the speakers to cut out allowing you to listen through earphones, however it doesn't say where you would plug the earphones in. Am I missing something?

2. Paladin macrumors member

Check out the forums at iPodLounge.com. You'll find answers to all of your questions...and a number that you haven't yet considered.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: Using iPod through the car stereo

even if there was a mini-jack, that "phones" function seem to do the reverse: line-out to a headphone. what you will need is a line-in so iPod's sound can get into the stereo to be played on car speakers...

i bought a CD player specifically allowing an adapter to be put in so i could input via mini-jack. that port was in the back of the stereo and i had to attach the adapter/mini-jack input cable before putting the stereo in the dashboard.

i think iTrip might be your only choice... it's a shame because it would really be nice if all (most) car stereo had the mini-jack input port as a standard...

4. phillymjs macrumors regular

Check out XM Radio solutions

Look at places that offer XM Radio accessories that help people hook XM systems into their existing car audio. you should be able to find something that will have RCA L & R audio jacks, and Radio Shack, Best Buy or Circuit City will have a cable that will connect the iPod stereo minijack to RCA.

Since you already have a CD changer, you may not find anything. The solution I found uses the CD changer port on the stock stereo in my Celica (I have no CD changer). I have the converter, but I have yet to install it since it involves taking the whole center console apart to yank out the stereo, and I'm just not motivated enough to perform the operation yet. :)

~Philly

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Well, going to build in my car stereo this weekend, including my ipod! So, I will let you guys know if it worked. My brother has done it a couple of times with his carradio's. Some carradio's have at the back a line in. If you connect a cable to it with a 3.5 mm plug on the other end (to plug into your pod) you are all set. works great. But unfortunately not all carradio's have a line in, especially the cheaper ones. And unfortunately, not all carradio's are as easy to get out of the dashboard.