Using iPod with Mac & PC

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rtjstevens, Jun 8, 2004.

1. rtjstevens macrumors regular

Have just bought a 40gB iPod and wish to use it as a part storage device (i.e. another hard-drive).
    I've enabled this on the Mac but when I plug it into the firewire port of my PC the PC wishes to format the drive and thus trash all of my contacts/songs etc. Is there a work-around apart from networking the PC + Mac and getting the Mac to read shared folders and then download them to the iPod?

If I do PC format the iPod, will I still be able to use it with the Mac?

Thanks,

Richard (UK)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You can't do anything about this on the Mac side, but there is a simple fix - PC format the iPod. Since the Mac OS can read from and write to FAT32 drives (which is the format for PC iPods), it'll work well (as a drive) on the Mac and PC. Don't install iTunes on the PC (if you have it installed, tell iTunes not to automatically open when the iPod is connected - this can be found in the iPod options), since you can't synchronize two music libraries to the iPod at once.

3. rtjstevens thread starter macrumors regular

using iPod on a Pc

Thanks for that; much appreciated. I'll give it a try

BW

rtj

4. devwild macrumors member

Actually this won't matter as long as you don't have it set to automatically sync, or try to manually. I personally don't use that feature at all.