Using iPod with windows and mac

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jimmieboy, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Hey everyone. I'm thinking of getting an ipod for xmas. I've heard that you can have it so you can use it on windows and macs. I've been told all you need to do it format it on a windows computer. Is anyone able to give me specific instructions on how to do this and then how to use it with my mac. All my music is on my mac and not my windows computer. Thanks in advance

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My iPod was formatted on a PC but automatically syncs with my Mac flawlessly. It means that once I have enabled disk usage in the iPod preferences, I can transfer files between Macs and PCs easily. Of course, it means that any iPod updates will have to be installed from a PC but that's no huge problem, especially considering how few and far between such updates are. :)

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

yeh, my girlfriends mini works fine on my mac even though it is a windows formatted one. all you need to do is on your first useage of it plug it into your windows pc and follow the instructions!

4. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Thanks for your replies so far. So do I just use the install CD and install the software on my windows computer. After it's charged I plug it in and then install the latest update. Then if I go to my mac I'll be able to sync it and enable disk usage. Is that right?:)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Spot on. :)

You don't strictly have to wait for it to charge though. You can install the software , plug in the iPod, get it up to date and then charge either from a computer or the wall. Then simply plug it into the Mac and it'll ask if you want to use this new library instead. Say yes and let it sync as you enable disk usage. Then, next time you plug it into the PC (or any other computer) it'll ask the same and just say no. :)