Using iSync to Sync iCal to RAZR V3M

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thedude110, Jul 24, 2006.

1. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Beautiful people.

I'm using iSync 2.3 to sync my contacts (Address Book) and Calendar (iCal). iSync is bringing the Address Book over perfectly, but it renders this error for all of my iCal events:

Picture 7.png

It's a Verizon phone, and I'm not willing to flash the firmware just to get my calendar.

Running OS 10.4.7 on a G4 PB.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. bdc macrumors newbie

I'm afraid this isn't going to be a very helpful response... but the same thing "just worked" out-of-the-box for me. Sounds like we have nearly the exact same setup: G4 PB, OS 10.4.7, iSync 2.3. I just got the V3m yesterday, and synced it first thing. (Also a Verizon phone... I think Verizon is the only carrier so far offering the v3m).

I'd be happy to try things out with my gear though if I can help diagnose what's causing it to fail for you.

I know you said you aren't interested in flashing the phone, but out of curiousity, what firmware did yours come with? (Settings -> System -> Device Info -> Other Information -> S/W Version).

(Mine is NEWC_01.050A)

3. thedude110 thread starter macrumors 68020

thedude110

I'm so impressed you dug up this thread -- thanks!

I've got the same firmware as you -- NEWC_01.05.0A

It's not the end of the world if iCal won't work -- I'll just keep bringing my paper and pen planner everywhere. No synching that way, right?

4. bdc macrumors newbie

If you say so... I'd have returned mine if it didn't sync both my phonebook and calendar.

It's pretty bizarre though that it works for me and not you, since we seem to have exactly identical hardware/software.

I don't have any bright ideas, but my offer stands if you want me to test anything out.

-Bryan

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

on Apple's iSync page it says that iCal won't sync with Verizon Phones...

it sucks and I'm in the same boat, just got a Verizon V3m 2 weeks ago.

6. bdc macrumors newbie

erm, well that's just flippin' strange, because I see what your referring to about iCal not syncing (both apple and vzw claim it won't work...). Nevertheless, it works perfectly for me, no kidding.

(I did not mod the phone before my first sync... I have modded the phone since but I hadn't at first).

Not sure what was differnt about my environment that made it work. Very curious.

7. thedude110 thread starter macrumors 68020

thedude110

You're not alone, bdc -- I can't find them now, but I remember reading other posts (here and elsewhere) about iCal synching with the RAZR -- which is why the error box caught me off guard.

The woman's phone we're returning -- bluetooth won't turn on on the phone no matter what we do. She bought the VCAST music kit (against my advisement -- "Get an iPod!" I said) -- and now we of course can't even transfer songs from WMP 10 to her phone.

Motorola is a disaster.

8. bdc macrumors newbie

I ran across a post somewhere mentioning that it had to do with the number of events stored in the calendar... so maybe try decreasing how far it tranfers out? (I had mine at 4 weeks out, but my calender is sparsely populated).

Sorry I don't have a link on where I read that (I just got the phone and have been reading up like mad... can't find it in the dozens of bookmarks I've accumulated).

I've found other shortcomings that may make me disable the iCal sync anyway: even with no alarm set in iCal, my phone still sets an alarm for it (right on time too.... which is useless because by then I'd be late anyway and it just means my phone goes off right at the start of every appointment).

Also, my phone doesn't get recurring events, an "every tuesday" event gets entered as independent events on the phone, which means I can't alter them using the phone. (not a big deal... once I realized it).

9. reubs macrumors 68000

My "new every two" is about to come up, and I was wondering if anyone had anymore info on the RAZR/iSync/iCal debacle...

I'd love to get one that could sync up w/ iCal but I'll go w/ a more reasonable model if that's not going to happen. Off-topic, where does Verizon get off crippling the capabilities of the phones they sell?

10. Stevp1 macrumors regular

I just picked up a V3m (verizon) yesterday. I didn't know about the crippling until after I got it home. I can say, however, that my Isync works fine. I sync'd up my contacts and calendar without a problem. That went smooth.

I have been reading all the posts about flashing the phone to restore OBEX functionality. If anybody is reading this that knows, will flashing to the older V3C firmware to enable file transfers break my isync coolness?

All I want to be able to do is move pics from the phone to the Mac. Can I put them on the transflash card and pull them off with a reader? That is a PITA but less risky then flashing the phone.

11. thedude110 thread starter macrumors 68020

thedude110

I can tell you how my story ended, if that's any help.

I stopped trying. I just don't even bother to try to synch the thing anymore. That's the level of frustration I reached.

Motorola and Verizon are a deadly combination. In two years, I'm done with both.

12. reubs macrumors 68000

What will flashing the firmware do? Will that void the warranty? Is it even worth the effort when/if I get this particular phone?

13. Stevp1 macrumors regular

Apparently, flashing re-enables some of the functions that Verizon ripped out, the biggest (to me) is the OBEX file transfer. There are some other minor things that it restores, but it also takes away the capability to use the MicroSD card, as the flash takes it to an older firmware rev.

Yes, it will void the warranty.

As for being worth it...Well, I'm going to try the MicroSD card and a reader first to see if I can get pics to my PB that way. If not, I'm flashing. Only problem with the card is you have to remove the battery every time you pull the card out. Minor PITA. It really comes down to what you gain vs. what you lose.

Gotta say, other than that, i'm happy with the phone, in spite of Verizon's crap.

14. reubs macrumors 68000

Cool...just gotta wait and see what the price will be once the time to upgrade comes around.

Thanks for the info, and I'll check back w/ my results.

15. ksaling macrumors newbie

Firmware version?

Stevp1, what version of software did your V3M come with? What version do you have now?

Here's how you find out on a Verizon phone:
    Settings & Tools --> System --> Device Info --> Other Information --> S/W Version

This article gives a little more detail on the V3M/OBEX/iCal disaster:
    http://www.askdavetaylor.com/

16. Stevp1 macrumors regular

I've got NEWC_01.05.0A. I've decided to fight with the transflash card for now to move stuff back and forth. I may still decided to flash at some point.

17. ksaling macrumors newbie

My V3M is on the way. Ordered 10/05/2006. I spoke with Verizon tech support and they told me to expect version 01.15.04P on the phone. They also claimed this version supports OBEX but they couldn't say which profiles.

18. Stevp1 macrumors regular

do me a favor and post here if it does, please. I'll go there and make them flash mine if that's the case. I can't believe they haven't done that with all the complaints.

Thanks. Good luck and I look forward to hearing the results.

19. weeag macrumors regular

sync to entourage?

I've got all my contacts & appointments in MS Entourage... anyone know if there's a way to get them into my RAZR?

Thanks

20. Stevp1 macrumors regular

Well, I was able to do it with isync just fine. I'm able to sync regularly via bluetooth. I would make sure you have the latest versions of all of those. I know earlier versions of Entourage didn't have the sync services.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

21. Monty Frost macrumors newbie

I tried iSyncing a group of contacts in Apple's Address Book with a RAZR V3m right off the shelf at the Verizon store using my camera's mini-USB cable with no luck. My iBook G3 recognized a RAZR V3 (no "m") and then gave an error message when told to iSync contacts, saying that the iSync had failed. Is it necessary to use Bluetooth to iSync? Or does the phone have to be enabled (the phone at the Verizon store had not been enabled). Or was my Canon mini-USB cable the wrong one to use? Any ideas? Thanks

22. Stevp1 macrumors regular

Sorry, Monty. I've only tried with the bluetooth. I don't know if it works with the cable. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Make sure you have the most current version of isync.

23. reubs macrumors 68000

I ended up passing on the RAZR and went with the LG VX8300 instead. Not mac compatible but a solid phone. It'll do.

24. weeag macrumors regular

Well, I don't have bluetooth on my G5 (I know, I know...) so I'm trying the USB but I don't know if iSync is pulling address from .mac or address book or entourage. How do I make sure everything is set-up correctly?

Thanks for the help!

25. weeag macrumors regular