Using iTunes account with more than one iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ephailey, Sep 29, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Mar 22, 2009
    I have an iPhone 4. Probably will get an iPhone 5, if it exists.

About to buy iPhones for three kids.

1. Can I use one iTunes account for all of us?

2. If I want all of us to have an expensive app, like the TomTom GPS, do I have to buy it four times? How does iTunes keep up with this?

2. macrumors regular

Sep 6, 2011
    Highspire, PA
    Usually you can install the app on any device that is authenticated with your account. I don't know if Apple still has a device limit for store purchases, but you should be able to do all the devices with one account with little to no problem.
  3. FreakinEurekan, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

macrumors 68030

Sep 8, 2011
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Edit: If you wanted to give each child their own Apple account (e.g. so that they could each have their own budget for music, etc.), the policy goes on to say:

4. macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2009
    that's great that we can use multiple ios devices but what about joining itunes accounts?

I just got married, I'd like to put my account and my wife's together and sync them to the same MacBook.

Is this doable?
  5. macrumors regular

Nov 21, 2008
    We use multiple devices on one account - it works great for music and apps, just make sure your device is set to sync only the items you want (we each have our own personal playlist). The only thing I haven't figured out is how to have separate address books, though I'll admit I haven't worked very hard.
  6. macrumors 68030

Jul 12, 2011
    Yeap same here! Now I just can't wait to merge my Apple ID with my MobileMe/iCloud account so I won't have a big mess.
  7. macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2010
    At this time it isn't, however there has been some rumor that it will be available in the near future. You might want to search this site, as I believe the news story I read was on this site about merging iTunes accounts.
  8. macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2010
    Does anyone know how this is going to work with iCloud? My girlfriends's MacBook and iPhone are authorized on my Apple ID. My main concern is the Photo Stream feature. I don't want her pictures showing up in my Photo Stream.
  9. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 22, 2009
    Follow up question

If my kids are away at college and their computers are included in the five authorized computer count for iTunes, can they sync apps like TomTom GPS on their own iPhone without having to buy the app again.
  10. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 22, 2009
    Any thoughts on this question?
  11. macrumors 68040

Nov 8, 2007
    they should be able to.

just sign into the iTunes account on that computer and sync the app.
  12. macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2011
    I hadmy itunes acct. setup and then added my wifes iphone and all my music games etc were synced to her phone and i got about 30 dollars worth of charges from itunes. Not sure you can buy the app one time and share it on multiple phones. I had to setup itunes as mentioned above where u pick what u want synced. I would imagine u would get charged each time it is downloaded to each phone. Not exactly sure!