Using iTunes on two computers of mine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Advance The Man, May 23, 2005.

1. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

I have an Apple at home that I've downloaded iTunes songs on and I've downloaded some on my PC at work via a usb keychain. When I transfer a song from one to the other, it says the original file cannot be found. I have to leave the usb keychain in the usb port for the PC to read it. I thought I could legally put a song up to five computers? How do I set it up where I don't have to use the usb and just load it on the PC harddrive?

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I just control click on the particular song I want to copy and select "show song file", then I take that file and drag to either my iPod or whatever device you use to transfer. Plug that device into the other computer and drag the file onto that computer.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You know you can drag directly from iTunes to a folder/external disk or whatever. There's a size limit, but it's up around 100MB or so.

As for Advance The Man's problem, I'm guessing it's DRM-related in which case I have no experience (still not Australian ITMS :( ) so sorry but I can't be any help. Maybe you have to allow a computer to play a bought song or something?

4. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

What is DRM?

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

DRM= Digital Rights Management, i.e. the software that means you can only play ITMS songs on 5 computers.

I don't think this is a DRM issue, because then iTunes would tell you your computer isn't authorized.

6. mvincenti macrumors newbie

iTunes can't find yer tunes...

I think you're problem is not with DRM but with how you have iTunes setup. Check to be sure that iTunes "Automatically organizes your library" and "Copies songs into library." This way, after you import your song, it is actually COPIED into the music library. Otherwise, iTunes will just remember where the tune is and will try to access it via the old filepath (ie, your USB jump drive). You can confirm these settings in the Preferences under the Application Menu, under the Advanced tab. Hope that helps.

7. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I'll delete them and try again. I do remember the PC asking me to sign in to let it be authorized, but I canceled and did something else.

8. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I will try it thanks.

9. gancomp macrumors newbie

THIS WORKED FOR ME!!!! Thank you so much. I had been having this problem for a long time now, and checking those boxes completely solved the problem. Can't thank you enough for the easy fix:)