Using LaCie hard drive

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tech4all, Jan 2, 2005.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Just got a 200GB LaCie hard drive. Some questions:

1: Do you have to unmount the drive via the trash can every time you shut down the computer? Or can you just leave it on the desktop and shut the computer down?

2: Seems like when I have the LaCie HD plugged in, the shut down time is about 5-10 seconds longer. I unplugged the HD, started the G5, then shut it down and it shut down at the normal speed. Does having having an external HD have the shut down time (the blueish screen) stay a bit longer for some reason? It does shut down, but it just takes a bit longer with the HD plugged in. (Note: The HD is plugged into the display's firewire port)

Thanks for any info. :)

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You can leave the drive mounted and it will be fine when you shut down - in fact, I'm pretty sure the extra 5-10 seconds of shut down time you're seeing when you leave it plugged in is the OS un-mounting the drive for you.

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

When you shut it down it will unmount the drive, when you let it sleep it will stay mounted, which means you should not turn it off then.
    It's a bit annoying because I have to unmount it everytime I let my Powerbook sleep if I don't want the blue light to be on...

4. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Thanks for quick replies!

That does make sense, but I guess that means that the OS still unmounts it even though I already unmounted the HD myself by dragging the icon to the trash? (even though I now know don't have to have to unmount it manually)

So basically all I got to do is plug the HD in via firewire and not worry about it. Just plug it in (only done when first connecting to computer for first time of course ;)), turn computer on (computer turns on HD as well), OS automatically mounts it, do work, shut down, OS automatically unmounts it, then turn off HD manually once computer is off.

5. Godfather macrumors member

You just described a typical workflow of Apple. Something that 'just works'. No need to think about it, turn stuff on (like pc's need both screen and computer to be turned on, older ones do @ least...) It just works. Automatically. Simple.

6. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I just have it there, dont really think about it. I just drag files onto it and when i leave for teh day or at night i shut it down.