using lcd hdtv as monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pjfung, May 7, 2006.

1. pjfung macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

im planning on purchasing a new display soon enough. I've been looking at the usual suspects for a wide screen (dell, viewsonic, apple) but was wondering about using a 24-30" widescreen LCD HDTV as a monitor for a intel duo mac mini.

are there any advantages or disdvantages to using a lcd tv instead of a proper monitor?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

A 720p LCD TV will get you 1366x720 pixels whereas a 24" Dell LCD monitor will get you 1920x1200 pixels. That is, the Dell has 2.3 times the resolution of the TV.

4. Hibbity macrumors member

I have the exact setup youre thinking about, 2405fpw dell and a duo mini. I have the monitor hooked up to an hd cable box, and it's unbelievable! My theory is that most 1080 tv's are really huge, meaning larger pixels, and as this one's only 24" its about as high res as you can get. Really great setup, can't recommend it enough.

5. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I'm in the same boat, well I was.

I've decided to go with a Dell 2407 because it has Composite, Component, and DVI. So I can play my GCube, Wii (when its out), and play on my MBP.

I was thinking of getting a LCD TV also because you could get a 32 inch for about the same price as dells 24, but everyone said that the resolution would be alot better on the Dell.

Plus you can split the screen in half and watch TV while leaving your Mac to display email and what not.

6. swingline macrumors member

i'm going with the 2407 as well due to the aforementioned pros. do it. do it.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah I would just go with the dell.