Using Mac for P2P

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Sid, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Sid macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking at a purchasing a 15"Powebook and, having always been a windows person, I was wondering if popular P2P file sharing sites worked on the Mac (Soulseek, Bitorent, etc)

Do these sites still work, or are there other alternatives?
    When using these sites do you still have access to Windows users files?

These are probably really obvious questions, but I couldn't find the answers....Cheers

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

The answer is yes everything mentioned above works on a Mac, and in some cases even better because you don't need to worry about viruses. Just be careful not to use any installers that are less than 100Mb as they are probably just programs that will delete files on your HD.

4. Sid thread starter macrumors newbie

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Bit torrent still works, you just have to get the mac client for it. There are also a number of P2P apps, such as LimeWire. I also like Acquisition.

6. jer446 macrumors 6502a

im not sure if this is breaking any rules, but are mac apps available for piracy? LIke if i wanted to could i download office for the mac, or if i buy a laptop now with osx, will i be able to download tiger, even though obiously i shudnt.. but i cud cudnt i? :)

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do not get in to that here.

You can talk about p2p apps, but that's as far as you can go. Any specifics and the thread will be history...a bit like Napster :p

8. Logik macrumors 6502a

what are you talking about? napster is back! pay $15... get access to a ton of songs... then do the little trick to reencode them into aac or mp3 or whatever! lol

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Exactly! The glory days of napster were way-back-when, no RIAA ******* were after you, and it was free! :D

10. Logik macrumors 6502a

i guess the trade off is that for $15 you get access to the sounds immediately and if you're on broadband it's FAST (doesn't depend on the peer)... and they kinda guarantee that you have no skipping and crappy sounding files.. well as good as WMA can handle i guess :p

11. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Yeah, and you get 14 days free, and you can record them and keep them for free. Woops, did I just go over the line there edesignuk :eek: May I say you are looking mighty fine today. ;)

PS. I know that is not a picture of him.