Using MacBook to extend Wifi range

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Abhinav, Mar 30, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

My MacBook works in one of the rooms in my house, but my iPhone cant hook onto the WiFi there. Is there some way I can use my MacBook to extend the Wifi so that my iPhone can connect to the network as well?

2. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You should be able to connect to the same WiFi with your iPhone. If there's a LOCK icon in the Choose a Network... then you would have to set the WEP password. And you should be good to go. :cool:

3. macrumors regular

You should be able to open System Preferences, then "Sharing" and say that you want to share your AirPort connection using AirPort.

4. macrumors 68000

vansouza

I just got the airport express ($99) to extend the n wifi in my house. And it works great.

5. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

you cant do this?

6. macrumors member

one way sharing.

Eric, you CAN do this but not in the way that was specified. If you read closely, he said that he connects with his macbook using wifi. The only way to use connection sharing is if he was connected with a wire he could share over wifi and since he is connected over wifi he can only share over the ethernet wire port. It only works one way, there is no "repeater" mode or anything like that.

Unless you had two wireless interfaces..... thats another story.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Somehow, my email address missed the subscription.

and yeah, I was talking about repeater like features, because it seems that the iPhone's WiFi reception is just weaker than the MacBook, but I guess I'll have t buy one now.

8. macrumors 68000

vansouza

The MB may be connecting with N which has a longer and stronger range. Or the MB antenna might just be bigger.