Using macbook with lid closed on external DKM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asmith3006, Mar 6, 2007.

1. asmith3006 macrumors member

Can I use my macbook with the lid closed on an external display with keyboard and mouse?

Also, when I use my own keyboard (logitech) the Apple and Alt keys are swapped, is there any way of changing this on only my external keyboard?

Finally, with an external keyboard, how do I eject CD's without having to take them to the bin?

Cheers

2. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Yes. You can wake the macbook up with the screen closed using the external keyboard.

Often times one of the F keys will eject it. I'm not sure since I use an apple keyboard. Otherwise command-e will eject a highlighted disk.

3. asmith3006 thread starter macrumors member

Humm.... it loads up, it asks me for a password, it accepts it and then it goes back to sleep. Any suggestions? :?

Also, when using my MS Optical mouse, I can't use the scroll wheel to show my dashboard which I was able to do when I tested the mouse on a friend's iMac. Any suggestions?

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You can eject a CD using F12. And to not use the internal display, close the lid, plug in a USB keyboard/mouse, then open the lid a bit to allow for some ventilation.

5. asmith3006 thread starter macrumors member

It's not working for me at all :( I can't even get it to wake up using the keyboard any more. Any suggestions?

Do I need the screens set to mirror mode before I try this?

6. asmith3006 thread starter macrumors member

does anyone have any suggestions I could try please?

7. natallica macrumors 6502

Do you have the power adapter plugged in or are you trying to use it off battery?

-- N

8. asmith3006 thread starter macrumors member

9. heathsnow macrumors newbie

Check you external Monitor resolution

If the resolution on your external monitor is too high then that would stop it from displaying OS X. Try lowering the resolution on your external monitor and see if you get your picture back.