Using MB PowerSupply on MBP and vice versa

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joshwest, Jul 31, 2006.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

I have both MB and a MBP and both Power Supplys Charge and Power Both of my computers. Recently i sent in my MacBook for repair cause of staning and had the MB power adapter at work, brought my MBP in it had a dead battery plugged it in and its hoppin and charged 100%.. I just think it could take longer..Is all

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Swapping power adapters is generally a bad idea.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Especially when the laptops have different power requirements

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

The MBP power brick will work fine on both the MBP and MB.

The MB power brick will run (but isn't supposed to charge) a MBP.

5. ebuc macrumors regular

Apple Says Differently...

I could have sworn I read that it was officially fine to use both power supplies interchangeably, but Apple says differently:

Use only the power adapter that came with your MacBook Pro computer. Adapters for other electronic devices (including other MacBook Pro models) may look similar, but they may affect your computer’s performance or damage it. http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

I've always used PowerBook and iBook adaptors interchangeably, though; it's just more convenient.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, I thought I read something straight from Apple that said it was OK to switch them around, but now when I google, I only see weblogs and the such that say it's OK.

One guy did notice that the output from both the MB and MBP bricks are the same, which makes me wish I knew more about electricity to understand what the different wattages really mean. :D