Using MS RDC in Mt. Lion to access a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brainwave89, Dec 31, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I need help setting up my new MacBook Air to access a PC running Windows XP using Remote Desktop Connection that came with my version of Office 2011. I use an Apple Extreme wireless router.

When the computer MBA and PC are connected to the same network I can successfully connect to my PC. When both computers are not on my network I have problems.

On my Apple Extreme the router mode is DHCP and NAT. Under DHCP Reservations I have set up the MAC address of my PC and its IP Address.
    In Port Settings I have added Remote Windows Desktop using the default Port # and the PC's IP Address.

I have tried both the IP Address and computer name in the RDC screen but I still cannot get connected.

Any suggestions on how to get it working are appreciated.

2. macrumors 68000

Are you using your EXTERNAL IP when trying to connect from your MBA when it's not on your network?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you hallux.

I wasn't and now that I am using the public IP address of my router I was able to get it to work.

Cheers!

4. macrumors member

Just remember this is not very secure, and anyone port scanning your external IP address will find your Remote desktop enabled XP machine.

With this in mind, make sure it has all the latest updates installed and also that all the user accounts are protected with a strong password otherwise the computer could end up being used by far more than just yourself.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you mannyo1221.

Are there any other services or recommendations to make my PC more secure?

Cheers!

6. macrumors member

I use logmein, which is free. You install a desktop client and all traffic is sent encrypted between the mac and windows. You don't need to open any ports on your firewall, it just works.

www.logmein.com

its free to use for remote control purposes, and works great. You get a trial of their full service, but once that ends remote control still carries on working. You dont need to provide any card / bank details to register either.