Using Multiple HP Scanners in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sfinnerty, Dec 7, 2006.

1. sfinnerty macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2006

I have recently purchased a MacBook Pro and am in the process of getting functionality working on the mac side of things. I now use this laptop for both home and work. I have a scanjet 5590 at home and a scanjet 5550c at work. I also have recently purchased a HP c6180 all in one mostly for its network printer ability.

As of this time I am basically doing all of my scanning using HP Scan Pro software since I have yet to buy anything third party for the mac (i.e. Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, etc). I had been using the 5590 at home for document scanning purposes by converting a variety of paperwork to PDF's for storage. I had not gotten around to trying to scan anything on the 5550 at work.

Last week I installed the 6180 at home and that is when the "challenges" started. I can no longer use the 5590 (or the 5550 at work when I tried) to scan anything. I have reinstalled the "drivers" for both scanners but anytime I want to scan it wants to use the 6180. While this potentially is workable when I am at home (I would rather use the 5590 since it has better features and the additional advantage of sitting on my desk, the 6180 is in a common area) obviously 6180 doesn't make the trip with me to work.

I know the mac can see the scanner since they show up in the system profiler. In the HP Image Zone if I select "Devices" and "Settings" under "General" it does see the the 5590 or 5550. However, anytime I go to scan it immediately looks for the 6180 and of course at work I get a "scanner cannot be found" message. It seems like the software for the 6180 is superseding everything else.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make these scanners play nice. Everything is HP here and would imagine that they should all get along since it is one big happy family.

2. Michael7k macrumors member

Sep 9, 2005
    I have the same problem with a 5700 series. Can not get Adobe to see the scanner.
    Good luck!