Using my Air every day heavily-ish

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by OfficiallyPB, Aug 7, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Would this be ok? I use my personal laptop for my job also, I work in advertising and social media, so a lot of my work is web based and not very CPU / GPU heavy, but the odd photoshop, coding or video editing here and there...

But my concern is just having it plugged in for 8 hrs + a day in clamshell mode while im in the office. I wouldnt tend to use it after hours unless i wanted to to surf the net.

for regular use just wondering how robust the hardware is, such as battery life and other things.

stupid question, but i thought i would ask.

2. macrumors 6502

Yes, why wouldn't it be?

It will work fine...

3. macrumors regular

Using it for 8+ hours a day isn't an issue. The issue is leaving it plugged in day in and day out. This won't damage the hardware in any way, but it will degrade the life of the battery. The best thing to do for a laptop battery is to use it as a laptop. Use it as much as you normally would, but not plugged in. When the battery is low, then plug it in.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL i did say it was a stupid question.
    but thanks for clarifying. I guess people use their laptops all the time in clamshell and then use them at home as laptops.

silly me

5. AXs
    macrumors 6502a

AXs

Really? I thought it was completely okay to leave it plug in whenever possible, and let it drain to whatever % before recharging? I read that 50% is a good amount. I have never read that forcing it to low% was advisable?

And no one better quote me that Apple Battery FAQ page, It's as ambiguous as bleep.

6. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

It's not a bad idea to let it drain all the way down once every 6 weeks or so.

7. macrumors 65816

I think it IS OK to leave it plugged in when you want and then use it on battery when you want.

8. macrumors regular

Yes it is.

The nickel metal hydride batteries of the past are no longer being used in modern technology. Mostly lithium ion batteries now. Which act VERY differently. One of the differences is that draining it completely is NOT recommended. On/off/on/off etc. on the charger is the most convenient and serendipitously the best use of the lithium ion battery. You don't need or should let it fully discharge. You can put it on or take it off the charger at any % and not have any ill effect on the battery. And if that wasn't enough reason for lithium ion batteries, you can throw them directly into any landfill without poisoning the Earth. Although I do think recycling is still recommended.

9. macrumors 65816

i think they recommend that more for calibration rather than for the health of the battery per se. Which i suspect is what Axs is talking about.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

10. macrumors regular

No calibration needed w/ lithium ion. It's nearly the perfect battery.

11. macrumors newbie

I use my Retina MBP in clamshell mode all the time at work as do a couple of co-workers I have been doing this for 9 months with no problems. If you are doing something graphic intensive the fan might kick up, but other than that it is silent.

12. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

You're not calibrating the battery, you're calibrating the charge meter in OS X.

13. macrumors 65816

no - that's what i'm saying (poorly) that the calibration is for the OS battery meter. it won't improve actual performance, but it will help w/ the time left accuracy.

14. AXs
    macrumors 6502a

AXs

8 cycles in 9 days for me... I don't carry the charger to work, nor anywhere else. It's always exclusive at my station at home.

If you think it sounds 'high'... I assure you it is not. At this rate I would use about 700 cycles in 2 years, where I'll get the battery replaced for just $100. it has already been factored into my Air costing (over a 3 years span).

I'm not going to sweat one bit. I'm going to drain it to the point that there's nothing left for Shang Tsung... and then find next (battery) to drain.

mwahahaha!

15. macrumors 68000

I used my 2011 MBA plugged into AC power and a DVI monitor for a good 90% of the past year and a half and still get great battery life. At night I put it to sleep and leave it plugged in.

I tried clamshell mode and didn't like it. The fans kick into high quite often in clamshell and very rarely if it's open. May not be bad for the computer but I find it really annoying. ;)

16. macrumors regular

And I'm saying that calibration is not needed, required, or even possible w/ a MacAir. Partly due to the lithium ion battery.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

17. thread starter macrumors newbie

so you use the laptop as a dual monitor setup, thats what I am thinking of doing. Email in full screen on my laptop and the rest of the work on the wide screen monitor

18. macrumors 68000

Yes, that's what I do. But more often than not, I just turn the screen off on the laptop itself and use the big monitor for everything.

19. thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think this would be a good monitor to have? I dont want to get an external and it blow up the res....

20. macrumors regular

I didn't mean to imply that one should drain the battery purposefully to a low percentage. I was simply saying to use the Air as a laptop, and plug it in when needed. Also, as apple states, it is not a good idea to leave it plug in all of the time.

21. thread starter macrumors newbie

Now this would be my perfect setup minus the mess! However not sure if that is a new iMac and not just a TB screen

[​IMG]

22. macrumors 68030

What do you mean by blow up the res? The MBA will support the external monitor's resolution up to 2560x1440. It doesn't take its own 1440*900 and stretch it.

(And yes, that's an iMac in the photo)

23. macrumors 6502

they are displaying something different, so I guess it's an iMac

Your perfect setup is Air + TB display or iMac?

24. thread starter macrumors newbie

air + TB display how ever....work wont pay for one so im opting for a 23 inch Dell.

25. macrumors member

I'm not proud to say this, but when I am on a big job, 8 hours of clamshell mode is a short day at the office. Photoshop, testing in vms, compiling, whatever. These machines are made to be used. Do not worry about it.