Using My Girlfriend's new 14in iBook!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gwuMACaddict, Sep 10, 2005.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

I WANT ONE! she's still sleeping this morning, shhhhh! this new iBook is teriffic- even with only 512RAM. (more is on the way in the mail, guessing i install it like my old powerbook- lift up the keyboard?)

HIGHLY reccomend this little notebook to anyone thinking about getting one.

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

As long as you're not trying on her undies too, I guess it's O.K. :D

3. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

4. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

How about some physical feedback

or - feedback on the physical stuff, that is. It's been quite a while since I've seen an iBook up close and personal, but the Pismo's showing its age (the new Toast even refuses to open on a G3!) Just replaced the hard drive (which died), but I realize the time is getting closer.

Example - did they ever fix the terrible "white that doesn't match white" issue with the different plastics and paints? I seem to remember how Mickey-Mouse the keyboard-palmrest-trackpad-powerbutton color variations looked.

How sturdy is it? Can you pick it up by one corner without fearing that the entire thing will buckle under its own weight? (That's always my test of how sturdy a laptop is.)

And I'm throwing in my vote for BoxerBriefs. Women have nothing nearly as nice!!!

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Of course your girlfriend needs her beauty sleep. ;)

Just be sure to check on the Crucial site that it will be compatible.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

No.. there are slight color variations but I don't think it makes it look all too bad; especially considering the specs right now slighly shame the PB. :p
    Yes you can do so.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yes, you lift the keyboard, then have to move the airport card and unscrew a little plate to slide the RAM in. Easy as pie.

I have the new 12" ibook, and although it's great for the most part, there is only annoying thing about it - the left handrest moves very slightly, i.e. it is not flush against the outer shell as it should be, and is on the right side. The weird thing is that I saw exactly the same problem on the demo model when I bought this, so I wonder if it's a common defect. Not a huge deal, but the other 3 apple laptops I've had didn't have any build issues of any kind.

8. londy macrumors member

i have a new 12" ibook and i concur. it's quite lovely and rather sturdy. and i hate to disappoint, but they do have boxer briefs for women...

sorry :p

9. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

Same here with my left side handrest. It's disappointing sometimes to think that apple had more than enough time to fix this since this is like what, the 4-5 revision of the iBook? The two bottom corners of the LCD bother me as well since they seem to be lighter than the rest. Other than that I've found the iBook to be quite an enjoyable experience. The only thing that really bothers me is the damn heat on the left, not so much the uneven casing.

10. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

I love my iBook!!! I got the 14" as well in my sig.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Hmm, interesting. Perhaps it really is a known (or at least recurring) problem. Annoying.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not so on my 14". It's perfect. :)

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Uhh- I like the different whites. Though the only difference between them now is the outer shell and the inside.

And of course you can pick it up from one corner.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I love mine too! Go get one, they're fun. :)

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Well, I've only seen it on 12" ibooks so far. And it's clear that not every ibook has this problem.

16. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

You don't know what you're missing. ;) :eek: :D

17. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

rev A's

The current pics do make it look like they've gotten it better coordinated. The last one I saw in person was a Rev A, which I believe was much worse (for example, the power button painted white mis-centered. :)

Thanks for the reassurance! :)

18. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Quick question.. at 1.33ghz

Will it be able to run internet, aim, word..fine?
    Also if i wanted to can i play games like sim city once in awhile?
    And with everything pre-installed it takes up 15 gigs right? So if it says 40, its really 25 that is free?

Sorry for the stupid newb question, buying my first apple computer next weekend..buying micrsoft office for mac tommarow! :eek:

19. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Yes a 1.33Ghz G4 is VERY capable of doing all of that and more.

20. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

k and another stupid question.. im a freshman at college, and i would be buying this computer obviosly as my main computer to transfer between college and home (my college is only 1 hr away..so i come home here and there..mainly why i want a laptop)

I want to keep this computer for 3-4 yrs, i realize it won't play the newest and latest games 3 yrs from now, but do you think it will hold up fine? I mean my pc desktop has been working fine now for 3 yrs i think.. its a crappy penitum 3 that is 1 ghz! but it still does internet, aim, basic games (sim city 3000 fine...) I don;t have much experinace with laptops and none with apple.. so plz give ne advice/help you can!

21. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Macs generally hold up much better than pcs. This is true with technological obsolescene, physically durability, and resale value.

If you're happy with a 3-year old pc, then you'll be happy with a 4 or 5 year old Mac.

BTW: The iBook kicks major a**! Excellent choice.

22. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

My 933 mhz. 14" iBook is still chugging along nicely, but I'm glad you & your gf are enjoying the new machine. It's a great laptop and pretty darn durable too!

23. amholl macrumors 6502

u will surely be able to keep the machine for 4 years. ive got a pismo (G3 500MHZ) that still does the things that u listed well. Its from 2000. Ive got last revision iBook 12". Its got no build problems at all. Be sure to buy some extra RAM. Up it to at least 768. 1 GB is amount that seems to be nice with tiger. Good luck!

24. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I was thinking about waiting until the powerbook updates to get a 12" powerbook, but now I think I'm gonna get a 12" iBook. I can save over $500 and get similar performance. I have a nice PC right now that I can use as my main computer and I may get a mini down the road to replace that.

What sparked this decision you may ask... well, I was down a the front desk of my dorm tonight and the guy checking people in had his 15" powerbook there and his girlfriend had her 12" iBook with her. Her iBook looked great while his powerbook had a dent in it near the hand rest... it was a sad sight. I think I would always be afraid of denting mine... I think I'm going with the iBook.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Very good decision- especially if you have roommates. The iBook can take a bit of abuse. Plus, if it gets ruined for some reason, at least you didn't spend a fortune on it.