Using My iBook as a Main Computer

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Guitarius, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Since I got my iBook a few months ago, it's pretty much all that I have been using. I've just been wondering if this is okay for the computer. I've noticed that it gets really hot after a few hours of work. What about the screen? Can it wear out after a while? Could it being on many hours at a time be detrimental to it anyway? It doesn't seem like it, but hey, for all I know, I could be killing it every time I turn it on.

2. 40167 macrumors regular

By the time it breaks, it'll probibly be time for a new system anyway... As far as Apple equipment goes, it generally lasts pretty long... I have a Mac Classic, Performa 630CD & my current main system is a iMac Rev D. 333mhz that never turns off... (they all still work and haven't had anything replaced) As far as the screen goes, LCD's can get many many hours, the LCD on my PC is a 15inch cheappy one from gemstar (2001) and its on atleast 8 hours or so a day; weekends its on anytime im awake (16 hours or so) as it pretty much just displays pictures all day.

Edit: Added 2001 date.

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

If it's your main computer, I'd definitely get Applecare. You can get it up to one year after you buy the iBook. I personally think Apple's are better made and have better service, but laptops are still *real* fragile.

Once you have Applecare, you don't really have to worry about anything except theft or doing something really reckless that voids the warranty.

4. bubbamac macrumors 6502

No sweat. You bought a computer that was designed to be used. They do get hot, just make sure you don't put it on a bed, couch, pillow, etc.; it needs to be on a hard surface so it can get rid of the heat.

Also heat related, I have mine (PB) go to sleep after about 10 minutes of disuse - although I put mine to sleep whenever I walk away. It's easy. Press the power key, wait about a second for the window to pop up, press "s" to put it to sleep. It wakes almost instantly by pressing any key.

Also, set your screen to turn off after 5 minutes or so.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm a pretty recent switcher and also a pretty recent laptop user but for the year I've had my iBook it's been smooth running. I leave the settings on automatic in the system preferences so it dims when it's drowsy, falls asleep when it's tired etc. I use it in bed a bit (on pillows/sheets - don't read into that AT ALL!) because it's more comfy and it's fine. I've only heard the fan come on once. I don't do much CPU intensive stuff but I do live in a pretty hot climate. Apple laptops have great heat dissipation. :)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agree with everyone who said you should be fine. The heat issues shouldn't be that big of a deal. Laptops in both the PC and Win world have had a lot of trouble dealing with processor heat, leading to them getting hot, especially on the underside. I think you'll notice that on your iBook, one side gets a lot hotter than the other (on the 12" it's the lower left corner, the bottom surface underneath the left palm rest). Anyway, many people use laptops as primary computers without trouble. As long as you are not *physically* abusive to it, and it meets your needs, you should be fine. :)