Using NSXMLNode, NSXMLElement, and NSXMLDocument?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ace2600, Jul 15, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I built my app for the device today and get errors around NSXMLNode, NSXMLElement, and NSXMLDocument. Those were recognized fine in the simulator. Any ideas?

Here is a post by someone else with a similar problem (but in the Mac Programming forum): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=506312

2. thread starter macrumors member

3. macrumors newbie

TouchXML is pretty slick. I found it to be an adequate replacement for NSXMLDocument. It's read-only: there's no serialization behaviors defined. It uses libxml2, so it should be nice and quick.

Otherwise, the recent releases included NSXMLParser, which might work for you if you just need a forward-only XML reader. It uses callbacks to notify your app about parsing milestones as it goes through the document.

Bill

4. macrumors regular

NSXMLParser seems like a pretty useless class to me.

All it seems to be is bunch of HARD CODED if-else statements of comparing the element names.

My app originally used NSXMLDocument to receive xml response data that I looped through to fill up some NSDictionary's so I could put them inside UITableView -> Detail view.

I pretty much need to loop through the entire xml data set, which has at least 50 elements. If I were to use NSXMLParser, would I be expected to write

if ([element name isEqualToString:mad:"firstname"] {
    currentString = [NSMutableString string];
    } else if ...

50 times for both "didStartEelement" and "didEndElement"? Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. macrumors member

DenNukem

You can use libxml2. That's what I do.
    It's C only (not C++ or obj-c) so you have to manage memory carefully, but in return you get real DOM.