using NVC to control other Mac's and PC's on my LAN

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swindmill, May 20, 2005.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I was hoping to set-up a simple way of controlling the other computers on my network from my Powerbook. I have an iMac and an old pc (which does not have a monitor attached). I have installed VNCViewer and OSXvnc on my two mac's and a VNC client on my PC. How exactly do I finish the setup from this point, and make things work? (assuming I'm not way off base here)

2. JackRipper macrumors regular

The PC will also need the VNC server running, but other than that it sounds like you're ready to go.

Just start the VNC servers on them all and then use the VNC client to connect to the others using IP addresses.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

It sounds like you're well on your way. You need to make sure you have a VNC server running on any device that you wish to control (PC, Mac), as well as a client on any device you wish to use to control others.

Once they're installed, just set up the server with the appropriate port (the default should work fine) and password, and you should be set.

To access a device running VNC server, you should just have to enter that device's IP address in the VNC client, type in the password, and connect.

I do it all the time between my iMac, my PowerBook, and my WinXP Dell in the basement. Works like a charm. In fact, I've set up my router so that I can connect remotely to them from outside my house.

Edit: Typed too much, I guess. Jack beat me! ;)

4. JackRipper macrumors regular

:) I like your response better. I forgot to mention pwds ( whoops! ).

5. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

thanks for the rsponses. i've got the servers running on the pc and imac, and i'm having no trouble controlling the imac, but I cannot connect to the pc. It tries to connect for a couple minutes and then says it timed out. I suspect it is the software firewall on the pc. I set the security setting to "allow all" and then I recieved the message "connection refused". I'm not sure how lowering the security made things worse. I do have windows sharing turned on if that matters.

Also, do the ports need to be different on the pc and imac?

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Check the port settings in the server of the PC and make sure that's opened in the firewall. I'm running on XP with no problems (although I've also run it on Win98).

7. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Well, I just tried a different VNC server for the pc, and now it works. This is great because I don't have a monitor hooked up to my pc/file cabinet, so I no longer have to rearrange the wiring of my external monitor and crawl under the desk to do basic functions on the pc.

One last question about this. The pc screen shows up as a nice window, but the imac screen shows up larger than my powerbooks monitor. Is it possible to resize it, so that it fits on my screen? It seems to be based on resolution, but I'd like to be able to see the entire imac screen without scrolling.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

While in VNC mode, switch the display resolution on your iMac to something that matches your PowerBook, you should be okay.