Using old system recovery disc to install windows XP?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Blondie :), Aug 20, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

So, I have a question. I would like to install windows XP on my MacBook, but I don't have the actual windows XP disc. I do, however, have the system recovery disc that came with my old computer (running windows XP). Can I use that as the install disc? Or will it just screw with the windows side of my machine? Thanks in advance :)

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. macrumors regular

samk8000

I would imagine that it would. If it doesn't work, it wont mess anything up. The only loss would be your time.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

So how can I delete the bootcamp partition if things don't fly?

5. macrumors 6502a

The same way you created that partition - bootcamp assistant.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet haha I might just give it a shot then. One more question, can you upgrade from XP to Windows 7?

7. macrumors 6502a

blackburn

You can't use oem install cd's on macs. They are the pc world equivalent of the mac os x install disks that came with your mac. They only work in the original machine they came (and sometimes not even).

And you can't upgrade from XP to 7. I believe that you can update from XP to vista and then to 7. But it's not a very good ideia to upgrade windows installations. Usually something get's really messed up:p

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damn haha. That's actually kinda what I figured would happen, but it never hurts to ask, right? O well, I might still get a discounted price for the full windows 7 install disc at university if it turns out that I really do need it. Thanks for all your help guys :)

9. macrumors 68030

...you can upgrade winXP to win7 using upgrade disks but its actually more of a "full" install from winXP to win7 per the instructions you should read on the MS website...

10. macrumors 604

The restore disks for PCs often include a ton of bloatware as well as Windows. they also often include drivers for the specific hardware. Dell was famous for installing SO many junky applications on their restore disks. Plus there is a license issue - the OEM license does not transfer to a new machine.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know the recovery discs come with a whole bunch of bloatware I've had to use them before haha. You perfectly answered my other question though :) I was wondering whether or not the OEM would transfer or not. Thanks :)

12. macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Use the uni disks, I don't know why do you need to buy them. We in our uni just download the iso burn it and install it:D (all for free:cool:)

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very nice :) I think it's the same way at mine, but I can't remember for sure. I'll find out in just a few days when I get there though haha :D

14. macrumors 6502a

blackburn

You should have the msdnaa software center where you can download it for free:)