Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glow100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
melbourne
New to skype and trying to make myself heard by other users (mac & pc alike). Working on a G5. Tried a headset with mic but they couldn't hear me. Aside from isight what is there i should be looking at. Not fussed on a camera...:eek:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
glow100 said:
New to skype and trying to make myself heard by other users (mac & pc alike). Working on a G5. Tried a headset with mic but they couldn't hear me. Aside from isight what is there i should be looking at. Not fussed on a camera...:eek:
Did you go into System Preferences > Sound and change your input device to your headset? You might need to tweak the slider too.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
There are other threads on this problem. It is an annoying apple problem that has to do with apples "brilliant" sound specs that come with Mac computers. What u need is an amplifier which will make the sound from your mic be heard on the comp. Mac computers come with extremely bad sound spec's and i cannot figure out why apple doesn't upgrade them. If you buy a low bottom range Dell you will get a PC with amp built in and more than one line-out any-day. But with Macs you just get a single digital output.. :(

You will have to buy something like this to make it work..sad actually for a computer that is already expensive

TorontoAllan

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Try without the mic!

I use Skype all the time to talk to my uncle down in the British Virgin Islands and we have never had any difficulty talking. I don't use a microphone other than the one Apple built in and reception is fine for both of us. I have the previous version of the iMac bought five months ago. Perhaps the problem is that you are using the third party mic?

Best of luck!

Allan

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
TorontoAllan said:
I use Skype all the time to talk to my uncle down in the British Virgin Islands and we have never had any difficulty talking. I don't use a microphone other than the one Apple built in and reception is fine for both of us. I have the previous version of the iMac bought five months ago. Perhaps the problem is that you are using the third party mic?

Best of luck!

Allan
I use my iMac's internal mic but it picks up too much noise when you're gaming and the performance is set to Highest. They aren't any cheap USB headsets here so I'm waiting to go back home.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
I have a similar situation. My line in on Dual G5 does not seem to work with a non usb head set. I use isight now. The headset works with other computers including my powerbook. Planning to get the new imic and then use the ports on it. (atleast i can use imic on my mac mini and the cube).

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I just bought a logitech bluetooth headset that is supposed to work with skype over BT. Just be sure to install the latest BT firmware *before* pairing the headset.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Eidorian said:
I'd just get a USB headset.

That certainly works quite well for me, although there are sometimes the typical USB issues with having too many devices.

I'm using a Logitech headset and because it has its own audio processing, it takes a load away from the main processors, just like my M-Audio sonica does.

It seems far too sensitive as someone 2500+ miles away could hear me eating, even though I had the microphone out of the way. :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
bousozoku said:
That certainly works quite well for me, although there are sometimes the typical USB issues with having too many devices.

I'm using a Logitech headset and because it has its own audio processing, it takes a load away from the main processors, just like my M-Audio sonica does.

It seems far too sensitive as someone 2500+ miles away could hear me eating, even though I had the microphone out of the way. :D
Does the 250 have its own audio processor too? I've been debating between the 250 and 350.

glow100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
melbourne
Eidorian said:
Did you go into System Preferences > Sound and change your input device to your headset? You might need to tweak the slider too.

Yes ... well i looked in there but there were only two alternatives:
Line In (Audio line-in port) and
Digital In (Optical digital-in port).
I had the headset plugged into the headphone jack at the front of the computer. I moved the input and output sliders to the right but no results. Don't know if i needed to be using a different headset???:confused:

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
Now that they have video chatting for Windoze...
here is hoping the Mac version isn't too far away!

I'm very happy with iChat - but making video chats easier and more internationally versatile is a well overdue step I think!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Eidorian said:
Does the 250 have its own audio processor too? I've been debating between the 250 and 350.

According to the comparator, the only difference is that the 350 has inline controls. Those would be the volume and mute controls, I'm guessing.

glow100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
melbourne
isight but no sound

ok. so now i've got isight but still the same problem. i can hear them but they can't hear me... went to system preferences and changed input to isight. it seems to be a problem with my output .. they can't hear me. Can someone pleaseeee help.:(

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
iSight should work fine

glow100 said:
ok. so now i've got isight but still the same problem. i can hear them but they can't hear me... went to system preferences and changed input to isight. it seems to be a problem with my output .. they can't hear me. Can someone pleaseeee help.:(

Can you try the iChat audio preferences - there's a bar along the bottom that details whats coming in the mic. If you talk into the (iris open) iSight, u should see the bar move - telling u that ur G5 is recieving a signal.

if it doesn't - i might have u audio properties mixed somewhere. Try make a new user on your machine?

I know that iSight works a charm with both Skype & iChat. Prefer iChat, if i dont have to call a landline somewhere.

F

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
glow100 said:
Yes ... well i looked in there but there were only two alternatives:
Line In (Audio line-in port) and
Digital In (Optical digital-in port).
I had the headset plugged into the headphone jack at the front of the computer. I moved the input and output sliders to the right but no results. Don't know if i needed to be using a different headset???:confused:

The headphone jack on the front of a Power Mac G5 is an output only. It doesn't have an input there in any way, that's (one of the reasons) why the headset wouldn't work plugged in there.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
bousozoku said:
According to the comparator, the only difference is that the 350 has inline controls. Those would be the volume and mute controls, I'm guessing.
I got the 350! It's on sale at Best Buy. It's a bit tight but I love the sound and the mic is great for my gaming.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Eidorian said:
I got the 350! It's on sale at Best Buy. It's a bit tight but I love the sound and the mic is great for my gaming.

I haven't used it for gaming yet, but it works great for iChat and Skype for me. I've been trying to adjust the ear pads. I would have preferred ear buds but they don't seem to have headsets like that. Comfort? Bleh! :D

Glad you like my choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.