Using Skype with a G5

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by glow100, Dec 5, 2005.

1. glow100 macrumors newbie

glow100

New to skype and trying to make myself heard by other users (mac & pc alike). Working on a G5. Tried a headset with mic but they couldn't hear me. Aside from isight what is there i should be looking at. Not fussed on a camera...:eek:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Did you go into System Preferences > Sound and change your input device to your headset? You might need to tweak the slider too.

3. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

There are other threads on this problem. It is an annoying apple problem that has to do with apples "brilliant" sound specs that come with Mac computers. What u need is an amplifier which will make the sound from your mic be heard on the comp. Mac computers come with extremely bad sound spec's and i cannot figure out why apple doesn't upgrade them. If you buy a low bottom range Dell you will get a PC with amp built in and more than one line-out any-day. But with Macs you just get a single digital output.. :(

You will have to buy something like this to make it work..sad actually for a computer that is already expensive

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. TorontoAllan macrumors newbie

Try without the mic!

I use Skype all the time to talk to my uncle down in the British Virgin Islands and we have never had any difficulty talking. I don't use a microphone other than the one Apple built in and reception is fine for both of us. I have the previous version of the iMac bought five months ago. Perhaps the problem is that you are using the third party mic?

Best of luck!

Allan

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I use my iMac's internal mic but it picks up too much noise when you're gaming and the performance is set to Highest. They aren't any cheap USB headsets here so I'm waiting to go back home.

7. budugu macrumors 6502

I have a similar situation. My line in on Dual G5 does not seem to work with a non usb head set. I use isight now. The headset works with other computers including my powerbook. Planning to get the new imic and then use the ports on it. (atleast i can use imic on my mac mini and the cube).

8. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I just bought a logitech bluetooth headset that is supposed to work with skype over BT. Just be sure to install the latest BT firmware *before* pairing the headset.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That certainly works quite well for me, although there are sometimes the typical USB issues with having too many devices.

I'm using a Logitech headset and because it has its own audio processing, it takes a load away from the main processors, just like my M-Audio sonica does.

It seems far too sensitive as someone 2500+ miles away could hear me eating, even though I had the microphone out of the way. :D

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Does the 250 have its own audio processor too? I've been debating between the 250 and 350.

11. glow100 thread starter macrumors newbie

glow100

Yes ... well i looked in there but there were only two alternatives:
    Line In (Audio line-in port) and
    Digital In (Optical digital-in port).
    I had the headset plugged into the headphone jack at the front of the computer. I moved the input and output sliders to the right but no results. Don't know if i needed to be using a different headset???:confused:

12. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Now that they have video chatting for Windoze...
    here is hoping the Mac version isn't too far away!

I'm very happy with iChat - but making video chats easier and more internationally versatile is a well overdue step I think!

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

According to the comparator, the only difference is that the 350 has inline controls. Those would be the volume and mute controls, I'm guessing.

14. glow100 thread starter macrumors newbie

glow100

isight but no sound

ok. so now i've got isight but still the same problem. i can hear them but they can't hear me... went to system preferences and changed input to isight. it seems to be a problem with my output .. they can't hear me. Can someone pleaseeee help.:(

15. FireArse macrumors 6502a

iSight should work fine

Can you try the iChat audio preferences - there's a bar along the bottom that details whats coming in the mic. If you talk into the (iris open) iSight, u should see the bar move - telling u that ur G5 is recieving a signal.

if it doesn't - i might have u audio properties mixed somewhere. Try make a new user on your machine?

I know that iSight works a charm with both Skype & iChat. Prefer iChat, if i dont have to call a landline somewhere.

F

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

The headphone jack on the front of a Power Mac G5 is an output only. It doesn't have an input there in any way, that's (one of the reasons) why the headset wouldn't work plugged in there.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I got the 350! It's on sale at Best Buy. It's a bit tight but I love the sound and the mic is great for my gaming.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I haven't used it for gaming yet, but it works great for iChat and Skype for me. I've been trying to adjust the ear pads. I would have preferred ear buds but they don't seem to have headsets like that. Comfort? Bleh! :D

Glad you like my choice.