Using Spare B&W G3 as a RAID box

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by G3-Pwnz-G4, Jun 7, 2004.

1. G3-Pwnz-G4 macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2003
    i have an unused blue and white g3, and lots of scsi drives that i would like to set up in a RAID. the only problem is, my current computer's (g4 digital audio) 3 HD power connections are being used. is there a way to set-up the g3 as a RAID box?

any help would be appreciated.
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    You have two options at this point:
    1. Remove any upgrades (such as for the graphics card) that require multiple power connectors to free up slots.
    2. Set up the drives externally (using a case if they are internal drives) - you can google for something like "FireWire HD case" to find one.
  3. G3-Pwnz-G4 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2003
    i don't have any gfx cards that use it, all my power connections are used by HD's (2 IDE and one scsi). the drives are internal, and the only reason i want to use the spare G3 is for it's power supply, and what i wanted to know is if i could use it soley to power the scsi drives. so back to my original question, could i use the G3 box, not as a "computer" per-say, but as a essentially empty box (no vid card or ram) that powers 3 scsi drives.
  4. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    if you aren't going to plug the mobo in, then you should be able to run at least 5 drives... i had 2 opticals, a ZIP, and 3 drives in my Powerbase.

If im reading you right, you can splice the power cables with a Y-adapter, and then get a Internal-50/68 pin to External SCSI (25 or 68HD) PCI slot converter.. i can't remember where I got mine.. but i can do a search if you need it.
  5. G3-Pwnz-G4 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2003
    awesome that was very helpful. it gave me an idea i'm going to try out. i'll let you know if it works :)