Using Spare B&W G3 as a RAID box

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by G3-Pwnz-G4, Jun 7, 2004.

1. G3-Pwnz-G4 macrumors regular

i have an unused blue and white g3, and lots of scsi drives that i would like to set up in a RAID. the only problem is, my current computer's (g4 digital audio) 3 HD power connections are being used. is there a way to set-up the g3 as a RAID box?

any help would be appreciated.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You have two options at this point:
    1. Remove any upgrades (such as for the graphics card) that require multiple power connectors to free up slots.
    2. Set up the drives externally (using a case if they are internal drives) - you can google for something like "FireWire HD case" to find one.

3. G3-Pwnz-G4 thread starter macrumors regular

i don't have any gfx cards that use it, all my power connections are used by HD's (2 IDE and one scsi). the drives are internal, and the only reason i want to use the spare G3 is for it's power supply, and what i wanted to know is if i could use it soley to power the scsi drives. so back to my original question, could i use the G3 box, not as a "computer" per-say, but as a essentially empty box (no vid card or ram) that powers 3 scsi drives.

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    if you aren't going to plug the mobo in, then you should be able to run at least 5 drives... i had 2 opticals, a ZIP, and 3 drives in my Powerbase.

If im reading you right, you can splice the power cables with a Y-adapter, and then get a Internal-50/68 pin to External SCSI (25 or 68HD) PCI slot converter.. i can't remember where I got mine.. but i can do a search if you need it.

5. G3-Pwnz-G4 thread starter macrumors regular

awesome that was very helpful. it gave me an idea i'm going to try out. i'll let you know if it works :)