Using Special Characters on the iPhone Keyboard (1.1.1)

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 27, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New in the iPhone 1.1.1 firmware, if you press and hold on a character (such as 'o' or 'e'), you are presented with a pop-up menu with variations (accents, umlauts, etc..)

Article Link

2. macrumors member

I noticed this today, pretty cool feature. I stumbled upon it on accident -- wonder why it was never mentioned?

3. macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

A good step ...

Now we need Chinese input and the ability to change keyboards. (The iPhone displays Chinese perfectly in e-mail -- but how to reply?!?)

4. macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Wow I didn't notice this. I was expecting the international keyboard though.

5. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Turns out there are international keyboards afterall!

In 1.1.1 hold down a letter and see what happens ;)

6. macrumors 68000

Sobe

that is rather sexy.

nice tip! thanks!

7. macrumors regular

tooshaggy

I dont see anything!!??!!??:confused:
    AHA!!!!!
    Got it. Hint: dont press the "g" expecting a symbol!!

8. macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Yuo just read about it in another thread. Its pretty cool.

9. macrumors 68040

Telp

This is awesome, i was wondering if there was every going to be support for something like this when the iphone came out, but after that never really gave it a thought. No international keyboard, but i am sure it has to be coming, along with 3 other apps for the bottom row.

10. macrumors newbie

Nice find.... makes me wonder what else is in there some times???:confused: Not sure why they did not mention this.

11. macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if I can finally type "`" (backwards apostrophe)? I tried holding down the "'" and the "~" (tilde) to see if it would pop up, but no. I need that one ` in order to connect to my schools wifi.

Thanks!

12. macrumors member

Nice find - very cool

13. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Looks like i wasnt the first to discover this, bye bye special feeling =[

Unfortunitally i still cant log into revision3 due to the lack of a degree symbol..

14. macrumors 6502

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    Good to see!!

15. macrumors 6502

Really?

Why would you care?

16. macrumors regular

Cubert

Oh my gawd!!! That is freakin' sweet!

17. macrumors 68040

mduser63

Uhh, maybe he and/or his family and/or friends are Chinese? I'd really like to see support for Japanese input on the iPhone, which is probably shocking since I'm not even Japanese! The whole world doesn't speak English, and believe it or not there are plenty of Americans who speak languages other than English too. I've got friends in Japan whom I email and IM often.

18. macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

The iPod Touch allows users to input in Japanese, right? Shouldn't this feature come soon to the iPhone? Sure hope so.

19. macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

He could be Chinese or have some knowledge of Chinese. Just like I love Japanese support and I'm not Japanese. I write/read/speak it though.

KTHX! :D

20. macrumors 65816

chr1s60

Pretty cool addition. From time to time I will write something in Spanish so this will be nice to have. I wonder why Apple made no mention of this in the video they put out.

21. macrumors regular

Lionheart

Yeah...this is WAY more useful than backing up my personal settings, a working ToDo list, voice dialing, or some of those other trivial things.
    :confused:

22. macrumors 6502a

boss1

Amen and don't forget notes that sync. I still have my fingers crossed for notes that sync in 10.5 but I'm losing faith.

23. macrumors newbie

Jesus christ, is it every thread that someone has to whine about new features with their shopping list of what they wanted and didn't get? Can't even get through the first page without someone complaining about lack of 3g or MMS or whatever. Here's a revolutionary idea, perhaps to someone that speaks a language requiring those umlauts this actually might have been more important to them than something like a "working ToDo list" or voice dialing.

24. macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

This is really cool, here's to hoping they expand this to other characters. As for me, I'm still trying to figure out the caps lock thing...I have it enabled in the settings but it wont lock into caps!

25. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

You may be the first person I ever met who uses voice dialing. I've tried it on several phones and it's constantly this kind of crap:

"Call Bart"
    ...calling Mark
    "Call bart"
    ...calling Matt
    "Call Bart"
    ...calling Brad
    "Call Bart"
    ...calling Barb
    "Call Bart"
    ...calling Robert. (what?)

and so forth. Perhaps it'll take Apple and whoever they got to do their voice interface for OSX to make it work, but I'm happy with the way it is. An easily manageable list of "favorites", which is even easier to get to since v1.1.1

Oh - and Notes isn't working for your to-do list? Works for me. May just lack the automatic checkbox? In any event, I suspect that global To-Dos in Leopard will necessitate making this feature work probably on iPhone. It'd be rude not to.

Try double-clicking the Up Arrow on the keyboard. It'll blue-ify.