Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Just out of curiosity has anyone tried such a thing? I believe it should be possible as the guitar just passes an analog signal, but I don't own an electric guitar to verify.
Thanks, my curiosity is getting the best of me. :p

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
This is absolutely doable, you just need to make sure you have the right preamp. For electric guitar, I'd recommend a modeling preamp (such as a Line6 Pod). You should be able to then run the output of the preamp into an analog input on the receiver.

It's important to make sure that you don't run the output hot enough to overdrive the input circuitry on the receiver, though, or you could cause some problems. Make sure you listen carefully for any signs of clipping.

I've done this running a Bass Pod (the Fender Bassman model works great for electric guitar) into a mixer, then running the output of the mixer into the receiver.

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Did it Last Night

Actually I did just that last night. Now since the signal is coming in unencoded for surround, you will hear the sound out of the center speaker only but on mine I selected simulated stereo and I also heard the sound out of the front left, front right and center speaker with just a hint of sound from the subwoofer. I was using a Boss BR-1600 as the preamp but I may try my Yamaha DG-Stomp just for grins.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.